2012 LR4 decontenting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone, I'm learning about the Rover family of vehicles. I like both the Ranger and the 2012 LR4. However it is hard to find favorable reviews concerning the reliability of both.

Most aren't good any insight regarding the LR4 2010 and above would help

Thanks

Hentar,

Welcome to the forum. There are plenty of posts regarding reliability here in the technical forums. I myself have an 11 HSE and have had almost zero issues.

I've had false low tire pressure alarms which usually clear themselves and it should be noted that the SAT radio is nothing to brag about. Other than that I'm still in love.

Marty

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone, I'm learning about the Rover family of vehicles. I like both the Ranger and the 2012 LR4. However it is hard to find favorable reviews concerning the reliability of both.

Thanks

I had a 2010 HSE which I drove for one year and 21000 miles and had no issues. I traded that in for a 2011 LUX due to the lack of rear view camera in the 2010 HSE. I have 4000 miles on the 2011 so far and no issues yet. I love the vehicle. It drives and feels very solid, looks great and very luxurious.

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone, I'm learning about the Rover family of vehicles. I like both the RR and the 2012 LR4. However it is hard to find favorable reviews concerning the reliability of both.

Thanks

way to hi-jack this thread!

and, as long as we're hi-jacking, I've never been able to get my auto-high beams to work. I have the option selected in the vehicle settings menu. Any tips?

Last edited:

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trade it in for a 2012'

you speak of trading in $60,000 vehicles as if you are trading in a pair of jeans!!!! There is a big financial hit to be taken when you trade in vehicles like that in less than a year of ownership. It's great if money is not an issue, but for most folks it is. I for one am very happy with my 2011. When you trade it in, please let us know how much better the interface is. Just curious to know.

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not familiar with 2012 models and their pricing, since I have a 2011. But browsing my dealer's website, I've found out that 2012 LR4's in stock are way up there in price with the most expensive being @ over $65k, and the majority over $60k.

Mine was a 2011 silver LUX with everything (including optional wheels) but the HD and entertainment package at $60,115, I think

The MY 2012 prices lead me to believe that it's either a. decontenting and charging extra for what was standard or part of a package or b. the price went up big time

30309guy

Reaction score
Sorry I don't have my email notifications turned on (or didn't).

So I LOVED my 2010 but my best friend runs the dealership and I drove a 2012 while my car was in for an oil change/alignment. I really liked the LOOK of the new interface so I put my '10 up for sale and sold it within a week.

My specially ordered vehicle came in the last week of March and they worked with me on trading in the '12 w/o VAS for the '12 w/ VAS. It worked out well in the end.

HOWEVER, the user interface on the 2nd '12 is EXACTLY the same as the first. LOOOONG delay in selecting something and the screen changing and from going into reverse and the camera activating. Here are some other things that have me scratching my head:

I hate that the UI screen goes to the home screen every time you turn the car on. I find my self having to navigate to screens constantly when I usually just have one screen up (the stereo).

I also have serious doubts about the person who designed the new center gauge information. Who in their right mind would think that someone would rather see three lines of redundant information about the channel???? Where's the option for song information?

Land Rover needs to get and take feedback from their customers more often.

30309guy

Reaction score
way to hi-jack this thread!

and, as long as we're hi-jacking, I've never been able to get my auto-high beams to work. I have the option selected in the vehicle settings menu. Any tips?

What I've noticed in the '12 over the '10 is that indicator for the auto high beams only comes on when the headlights are on (in the AUTO) position. My '10 had the indicator (that the the auto function was on) on all the time.

That said, when you drive your car at night, with the lights in AUTO, the auto high beam indicator should show up in your tachometer. The only way they will actually switch to high-beam is if you are driving on a dark road that there are no lights or reflective signs in front of you. I've actually noticed my '12 is much more liberal with the high-beam use than my '10. I live in the city and they still switch back and forth when no cars are ahead of me.

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone, I'm learning about the Rover family of vehicles. I like both the RR and the 2012 LR4. However it is hard to find favorable reviews concerning the reliability of both.

Thanks

Don't fall for it. Most of us in the forum you will find really have NO serious issues. Of course there be gremlins involved with some things for the most part everything is fine except for gas MPH (if you own a LR/RR you will not be asking anyway) and brake replacement cost. You can check out my posts to get a real time report on every penny i have spent on my 2010 LR4 which i brought in October 2009 and was one of the first off the line. TO be honest with you, i expected more issues than i have had in my 2 1/2 years, 30k miles of ownership.

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our LR4 is 14 months old with 15k miles the only issue was a tpms sensor and I did talk discount tire into warranting the stock continental tires and applying the credit to some Pirelli Scorpion ATR's (I tore up the continentals off road). I like most people on this forum would have to report that the quality exceeded my expectations.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM