2012 LR4 - Have A Couple Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dvmerc

Reaction score
I just grabbed a 2012 LR4 with 25,000 miles on it. Very happy so far and pumped to finally have a Land Rover.

I have a couple questions:

-When I first start the truck up after its been off for a while it sounds like the compressor needs to kick on for about 30 seconds for the air suspension. Its pretty damn loud. That normal?

-When the truck shifts from first to second, it shifts a bit harder than any other gear. That normal? I didn't notice it during the test drive, but have noticed it now.

Thanks!

aakempvt

Reaction score
I have a 2012 with 38k miles. The compressor is fairly quiet and don't notice it running very often. I'm sure it probably does run on startup but don't really notice it over the engine running. My second gear does shift a little harder, but nothing that concerns me and I generally worry about everything on the truck.

pabs406

Reaction score
I have 66k miles on my '12. I can hear the compressor at startup, but inside the garage only. No problems with shifting.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dvmerc, congrats on the '12 LR4 with such low miles.

Have you isolated the sound to your compressor or are you theorizing that the loud engine sound for about 30 seconds is the compressor? The reason I ask is that when I start mine up cold, it runs at around 1K rpms for about that amount of time. Then it settles down to around 600 rpm at idle. I know that the air suspension is working because if I look very carefully at the hoodline, I can see it coming up just a bit. But I have not heard anything that was different than the relatively loud engine noise.

Maybe it's your fan? There is a something involving the fan clutch that creates that roaring sound under certain conditions.

No issues with shifting out of low gears.

dvmerc

Reaction score
Thanks!

I would say the compressor sound is pretty loud and unusual. Will probably have it checked out. Wasn't sure if others had the same noise/issue.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99