2013 LR4 - Weird Humming Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Took the Rover on its first trip this weekend to Snowshoe, WV. They got some good snow, so tried out snow mode and got a good feel for how it handles itself. This thing is an absolute beast and feels very good in the snow, even on less then perfect tires. However, I did notice a weird humming/buzzing noise that is felt through the steering wheel. It definitely is tied to revs, and presents itself in a rather narrow range of 2500-3000 rpm. Almost like a noisy idler pulley or a PS pump, something resonating in that RPM range. Over 3k it goes away, and is silent at less than 2500 also. I'll check the PS fluid level, but is there anything else this could be? I think if it's low PS fluid, it would manifest itself more at higher revs. Let me know any thoughts. I searched but couldn't find much.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope the cheap and simple fix works for you. I had to laugh though. Only on a LR would a solution be to screw a piece of rubber on to an available vacant hole in the engine.

Envious of your trip to Snowshoe. I'm driving into WV this weekend and I may take the southern route from DC just to see that part of the state. But if I go the default northern route, I get to go through western Maryland and I'm pretty sure they've got snow.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just excited that this fix is less than $100, as most fixes i've seen for the LR4 usually involve multiple hundreds of dollars for whatever reason. Still love the truck though.

Yesterday, roads south of Seneca Rocks were completely covered in snow and it was coming down. It's a winter wonderland down there. Enjoy!

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here it is, leaving Snowshoe village yesterday.
48052948_301603930695505_9062535372864487424_o.jpg

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Took the Rover on its first trip this weekend to Snowshoe, WV. They got some good snow, so tried out snow mode and got a good feel for how it handles itself. This thing is an absolute beast and feels very good in the snow, even on less then perfect tires. However, I did notice a weird humming/buzzing noise that is felt through the steering wheel. It definitely is tied to revs, and presents itself in a rather narrow range of 2500-3000 rpm. Almost like a noisy idler pulley or a PS pump, something resonating in that RPM range. Over 3k it goes away, and is silent at less than 2500 also. I'll check the PS fluid level, but is there anything else this could be? I think if it's low PS fluid, it would manifest itself more at higher revs. Let me know any thoughts. I searched but couldn't find much.

Does it have the humming noise if you rev the engine when the vehicle is in neutral?

If so, it's something with the engine. Perhaps a pulley.

If not, it's in your driveline.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right after posting, came across this: http://australiancar.reviews/_pdfs/SB-10069796-0699.pdf

Looks like a really simple fix. Is anyone else's LR4 having this issue?

"Install the damper and bolt to the vacant threaded hole in the transfer case."

To the 'VACANT THREADED HOLE"?!!

Amazes me, really it does, the laziness and the bad decision making here, that is. I am quite sure that this is what was installed in my '13 to cure the vibration appearing at high freeway speeds.

The reason I say laziness and bad decision making on TATA-LR's part is because at the time the shop foreman told me that this part, if this is really what he was referring to (which I think he was as I vaguely remember him showing it to me, and I remember it being in black color), actually used to come already installed in the previous model years but LR had stopped installing it as an attempt to reduce the weight of the vehicle.

Hence the reason for this very conveniently already existing "vacant and threaded" hole, and their solve to put the damn thing back on there where it belonged to begin with.

I mean, the engineers, after their extensive testing at various speeds, must have put the damper there for a reason, but the suits must have decided to get rid of it thinking that a very small percentage of customers may notice this refinement/optimization part and/or will drive LR4 at such speeds, hence according to this TSB the action is to be taken only "In the event of a customer concern of the above".

I remember at the time my shop foreman (one single individual working for LR service here that I could actually vouch for for being really talented, very patient, great troubleshooter, and extremely helpful) mentioned the same following possible cause of vibration as stated on this TSB to the field engineer while discussing this issue:

"This may be caused by powertrain torsion mode where the transfer box is effectively twisting on..... the transmission."

Unfortunately, and good for him, he is no longer at the Service department and has moved up to being a field engineer and I have lost contact with him, otherwise I would have asked him about this.

As I have already mentioned somewhere else, who knows what other important optimization parts/seals/protective, silencer or NVH reducer rubber strips, etc, the suits may actually have gotten rid of based on their study of the percentage factor for the potential reported concerns caused by those decidedly missing in action parts.

The SCV6 was more important to be shoved into the bay of this heavy beast (vs the V8) for those assembly line costs reductions, for these jokers at TATA. And the underpowered motor may also have triggered the imminent need to lighten up the truck by downright removing parts vs actually getting off their fat lazy asses and redesigning them.

Oh, while on the subject of available choices after stripping LR4 of its V8 (which was just sufficient enough and not really a powerhouse for the 3 tons), it was really the RRS according to TATA which was actually in such a desperate need for that TDV6, right?

If there was one single model in the entire lineup that could have benefited for real from that TDV6 after the the removal of the V8, it was LR4.

I know I've got an 8-speed in there now and maybe a different design compered to my former '13 6-speed, but still just out of curiosity I will try to take a look underside of my '16 tomorrow just to see what is (or isn't) there now :)

Practically have zero expectations from the current crew at TATA/LR. Cant wait to see the next innovation in the business of 25 inch rims and automotive ovens in the cargo area, from this joint.

Last edited:

Primetime

Reaction score
Has anyone actually done this themselves? I bought the parts got all set up to install it and noticed that I have the hole for the bolt but mine isn’t threaded. It’s just a smooth tube. What the hell am I supposed to do now?

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone actually done this themselves? I bought the parts got all set up to install it and noticed that I have the hole for the bolt but mine isn’t threaded. It’s just a smooth tube. What the hell am I supposed to do now?
Sounds like you need to tap the hole using the proper size tap for fixin' bolt IYP500080. Hope there's enough room to access it. What year is your LR4, btw?

I want to check this out on my 2010, as I've noticed a minor vibration similar to the description in the TSB. It isn't bad enough that I did any research, and I had kind of assumed it might be motor mounts starting to go. If I can bolt up a $60 weight to the side of the case and fix it, that would be (sort of) awesome.

o_O

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72