2014/2015 LR4 Brake pad wear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 LR4 with about 28K miles. Light just came on saying "brake pads worn." I wish it told you if it was the front or back...

Been doing lots of reading on here. Sounds like the NAPA ultra premium rotors are a pretty good choice.

Do the rotors need to be replaced at the same time as the pads? I've heard these are a bit of a different beast. Thoughts?

I'm sticking with OEM parts. Measure the rotors to know if you need to replace them. (They are soft, but if they are good thickness, leave them)

TXLR4

Reaction score
Help!!!

So I went ahead and replaced the rear rotors and pads as the pads were shot and rotors had worn some as well. Since i already had them off and picked up new ones...i figured why not. I went with the premium "Import Direct" brand from orileys as i'm told that they're comparable to oem.

Install went fine, but now the whole damn car shakes when you step on the brakes. Nothing seems to be binding up, caliper sliders seemed fine and I even greased them for good measure. I put grease on the back of the pads, made sure everything was clean. Feels like the rotors are warped, but this seems highly unlikely given that everything is new. I've read that the pads/rotors not being properly bedded together can cause this misconception but am not sure what's going on. Any ideas? Oriley's will be getting a call in the morning.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the rotors measure within specs you don't need new ones. Dealers always recommend replacement as they make more money that way, but if they haven't worn beyond their service limit (dealer has those specs) and they aren't badly scored or warped they should be good for another set of pads. Rarely do they last for more than that, though.

Last edited:

TXLR4

Reaction score
Thanks, but do you have any idea as to what could be causing the shaking and vibration
I mentioned above?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the rotors measure within specs you don't need new ones. Dealers always recommend replacement as they make more money that way, but if they haven't worn beyond their service limit (dealer has those specs) and they aren't badly scored or warped they should be good for another set of pads. Rarely do they last for more than that, though.

I think he put in new rotors and pads from O'Reilly's

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but do you have any idea as to what could be causing the shaking and vibration
I mentioned above?

did you read up on the whole deal about adjusting or procedure for the rear parking brake? I think I've read it has to be done when you change rear parts.

Something does sound very off but it is probably very fixable too. Driving too much like that is not a good idea in case of stresses created.

TXLR4

Reaction score
Correct, new rotors are on. I did read about the parking break but have also read so long as you don't touch it you're fine. I think if it were a parking brake issue I would be hearing a constant grind and one side would be bound up. Parking brake appears to be operating in normal working condition

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe one of the new rear rotors is warped. the parking brake shouldnt be used when applying brakes and therefore will not be causing any shaking. I think your shaking has to be a rotor issue.

TXLR4

Reaction score
Update

Well, got around to pulling everything apart last night to do some investigating. The new rotors seemed fine and both measured an even 20mm, but something clearly wasn't right. I had the old rotors (were only worn down 1/2mm to 19.5mm and were even all the way around), so I decided to put them back on with the new pads. Got it all back together, took it out and drove it...drove like a dream. Stopped way better and had NO vibration whatsoever.

The only thing I can think of is that one of them (or maybe even both) had a slight warp to it or these vehicles are very moody with non-OEM parts. In any case, took the rotors back to orileys and actually received a full refund. Needless to say, when its time for rotors in the back...there will be nothing but OEM going on there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo