2014+ improvements / weak spots?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well when they design these engines across the fleet of cars they need to design for reliability at the highest tune level for sale. Then they detune for the cheaper models. So the lr4 scv6 engine was designed to handle the power of a tune and pulley all day because they offer it in the f type. Same engine just software and a pulley. You could argue that it’s too much to pull around a heavy vehicle but suv owners typically don’t rally their trucks. The zf HP tranny can handle the HP and torque. So with better fuel economy than the v8 and (fairly) reliable power I don’t see why you wouldn’t. Other than cost. And obviously some people don’t care wether it has power or not.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well when they design these engines across the fleet of cars they need to design for reliability at the highest tune level for sale. Then they detune for the cheaper models. So the lr4 scv6 engine was designed to handle the power of a tune and pulley all day because they offer it in the f type. Same engine just software and a pulley. You could argue that it’s too much to pull around a heavy vehicle but suv owners typically don’t rally their trucks. The zf HP tranny can handle the HP and torque. So with better fuel economy than the v8 and (fairly) reliable power I don’t see why you wouldn’t. Other than cost. And obviously some people don’t care wether it has power or not.
But the vehicle is designed as a whole system so everything is relatively designed - power, weight, braking capability, heating/cooling - all so that they operate within certain nominal operating ranges and parameters. I'm with [mention]mbw [/mention] - I don't know why you'd "performance tune" a vehicle like this incur additional risk elsewhere in the system from heating or braking or whatever. Maybe that's just me. I like things as stock as possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It sounds like you did your homework. So the SCV6 in the 4 has the same internals as the F type? I didn't realize the F type was also using the V8 block with two cylinders blanked off.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of a pulley tune on the v6, mostly for more passing power on mountain roads. Well done, @Fuji4

as far as I know - chain tensioners still have issues. Crossover pipes and WP are the same, newer design now is one piece pipe vs 2. I really like the 8hp transmission in other cars ive driven although the 6hp is fine. Personally, a 2016 with HD package and pulley tune is what i'd do, if i were to move on from my 2013.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you did your homework. So the SCV6 in the 4 has the same internals as the F type? I didn't realize the F type was also using the V8 block with two cylinders blanked off.
You can read about the aj126 here. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_AJ-V8_engine

But basically all the tuning for our engine is done for jags for obvious reasons. So you have to look at those forums and tuners for info on reliability and longevity. There are plenty of examples over there.
As for the tranny the 8hp70 is excellent and will handle more torque than a tuned v6 will make.
“In the 8HP70 version, it has a torquehandling limit of 700 newton metres (516 lbf⋅ft), and weighs 87 kilograms (192 lb).[5]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission

Other than this two items there’s not much I am worried about with the increased horsepower, given that I don’t race the car or drive it stupidly. Mainly the power is useful for highway passing, long ascents at high altitude when I go skiing, and occasionally a passing maneuver.
otherwise it’s the same truck.
I also upgraded the brakes to EBC pads and drilled rotors so there is more stopping power too. It still handles like a truck so there is no incentive to take a corner fast and when driving off-road the extra power is not useful.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and also, having spoken with the guys at superchargers online (Eaton shop) and at velocity AP (tuner) I am aware that with two pulleys the tvs1320 in the v6 is operating at the end of its useful range at redline. So it would not be a good idea to have it there pinned all day and it would be rather inefficient. But pragmatically it almost never gets there and there isn’t much danger of overheating or overspinning the blower in the normal operating range. The TVs are great blowers and quite reliable. They usually only need the coupler done before 100k miles. And usual rebuild interval is 120-150k

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Fuji4 Do you live in an emission state? If so, does the tune fly under the radar when they do the OBDII connection ?

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Fuji4 Do you live in an emission state? If so, does the tune fly under the radar when they do the OBDII connection ?
Yes. Ca. But I won’t know until 2022. I would imagine that it would pass. I have removed none of the emissions components. And if it doesn’t it would be no big deal to flash it back to normal. Removing the pulley is also simple.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM