2014 LR4 on Landrover.com

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zenphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input on the SCV8. I test drove a 2013 LR4 today. It was pretty responsive for acceleration. The dealer also had a 'test track', on which he took me over the usual climbs and descents. The only thing that unnerved me was a 36 degree lateral incline. The sales guy said they won't tip over until the incline reached 45 deg. But 36 was plenty for me!
Lastly, I'll be test driving the 2014s when they hit the showroom; so I'll be able to compare against the 5.0L V8.

overblown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Multiple people here have stated that there will be no weight loss for the new lr4. Everything I have read so far contradicts that. It will be getting a new aluminium frame which is both stiffer and lighter. The RR is at least 300 pounds lighter due to this. I don't see why the lr4 won't lose just as much if not more. That certainly explains the acceleration numbers. The 8 speed alone wouldn't do it.

zenphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The articles I've read say that the LR4 won't get a frame makeover until at least MY2015. And I would take acceleration claims with a grain of salt......a very large grain.
The marketing/pricing info for the 2014 LR4 has been released by LR. See Umbertob's post in a related forum at: http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24706&page=13
There you'll find a link to the marketing bulletin. Nowhere in there does it mention a frame redesign for MY2014.....whereas they've been hyping it big time for the RR, and RRSport.
The new 3.0L SCV6 at 345HP/332ft-lb is obviously less powerful than the 5.0L V8 at 375HP/375ft-lb, but it's not a huge difference.....so maybe the new 8 speed tranny is enough to maintain comparable acceleration.
I hope so, because I've decided to wait for the LR4 MY2014....

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New aluminum frame won't be seen in the Discovery until 2016 more likely 2017 at the earliest.

overblown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think what is really going on here is that the 5.0's times where well underrated to begin with and the times for this 3.0 are more real world. I would be willing to bet that the 5.0 in real life will be significantly faster. Far more so than it would appear on paper. Perhaps LR knew this all along and did it on purpose knowing that the transition wouldn't be a easy pill to swallow.

Now, if the new frames do allow for a 500 pound or so reduction in weight, that will indeed be enough to make up for the lack of power and torque. That's about a half second improvement in acceleration runs.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think what is really going on here is that the 5.0's times where well underrated to begin with and the times for this 3.0 are more real world. I would be willing to bet that the 5.0 in real life will be significantly faster. Far more so than it would appear on paper. Perhaps LR knew this all along and did it on purpose knowing that the transition wouldn't be a easy pill to swallow.

Now, if the new frames do allow for a 500 pound or so reduction in weight, that will indeed be enough to make up for the lack of power and torque. That's about a half second improvement in acceleration runs.

No doubt the LR5 (or whatever it will be called when it arrives in 2-3 years) will loose well north of 500lbs and maybe closer to 800lbs. But until then, the LR4 will be a heavier car with a weaker FI (forced induction) engine.

I don't mind FI either. I have a Turbo. The difference is that in a performance car you tend to keep the revs on boil and are seldom below (modern) boost of ~2000. ON a luxury, automatic car, the car spends plenty of time at 1200-1800rpm, which is below the boost and at that point you may as well not have the TC or SC. You are just driving a round with a 3.0L engine. Torque WAY low in the rpm range (i.e. off the line leisurely) will be noticeably more with the 5.0L V8. Less so under full throttle under boost, but it will sound worse and still be down some on power.

zenphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd seen one of the video, but not the one from Frankfort. Thx for posting the links.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it a lot better in the videos - especially those tail lamps.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it a lot better in the videos - especially those tail lamps.

thanks for posting David. I like it! it looks like i'll be leasing another one soon. before I make a final decision I want to test drive one to see how the SCV6 handles. your new LR4 looks awesome. hope you're enjoying it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635