2014 LR4 Test Drive Review - LR4 1st Drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

horatio8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine should come in on the east coast as I live in Va. Hopefully this makes the wait a little shorter.

The shortage on the engine is what I also read over in the UK LR forums. People have seen quite a wait there.

My 2013 landed in the port of Baltimore, so off the boat to you should be fairly quick.

zenphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great writeup, Blade269.
I've had the same reaction to the new LR4. I still have my Discovery II, which I love; but it's getting a bit old (as am I).
Seems I was the first in Phoenix to test drive the 2014 LR4: a pretty Indus Silver with Almond/Arabica interior. The test drive was crucial for me, because either the SCV6, or the Start/Stop technology could be a dealbreaker. (I had driven the 2013 a few months ago; to prepare for the comparison). The drive was relatively short, but included both street and highway driving. On the 2013 test drive, the sales guy took me through their obstacle course, so I was good with the 'off road' capabilities. Besides, for off road prowess, my Disco II had impressed me long ago. So, the first 'biggie' for me was: 5.0L V8 vs 3.0L V6.
Although I didn't do any 'stress testing' (towing, climbing steep hills fully loaded....), I found the acceleration of the SCV6 very impressive; and paired with the 8 speed trans, very smooth. At least for the casual test drive (including passing at highway speeds) I couldn't sense any significant difference between the 2 engines.
I experienced the engine shutdows/startups at traffic lights, but was happy to confirm that I could turn that off. (One time turnoff each time after first starting up the engine. Just hit the ECO button. Future implementation of Start/Stop Technology will not permit turning it off (without jailbreaking the computer :)
I thought I was going to miss the 'stick' shifer, having driven manual transmissions for a long time. But with an auto trans, the stick is just a decoration, so the disappearing dial for shifting is actually very nice and clean.
Lastly, the interior design is excellent. (They could have kept the 2 USB ports however). The new technologies (virtual CD, traffic monitoring, lots of cameras, adaptive HID lights (Vision Assist package) are becoming standard in high end vehicles.
I really like the 7 seat design, with fold down flat seats. The LR4 has more cargo space than my Disco II. And I might treat myself to some cool looking roof rack :). Thanks for the writeups on those !
I'm getting the 2 speed transfer case, so my factory order is going in this week.
It will be an HSE in Ipanema Sand; Almond/Arabica interior, Heavy Duty Package, Vision Assist Package, Cold Climage package. Colorado mountain streams; here I come.
Bottom line; want to stay young? Get the new LR4.

Last edited:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear of another about-to-be '14 LR4 owner, zenphx! Looks like you, epiclr and I are all getting our orders in this week on "Order Day". Last I heard that could be today but may get slipped.

I was also told yesterday that these orders may be for April builds with June delivery. Sigh. This is a vehicle I hope to "bond with" so I want to make sure it has what we want. It is a bit frustrating for me that they have an allotment for 10 LR4's at one of our dealers here in the Denver area but they ALL are black interior, single-speed xfer case (no Heavy Duty package) and either white or black exterior with no Black Package. All those engines sitting on the lot when they could have been put in ours! :-(

Due to my wife not wanting a white exterior we will be going with a Nara Bronze Lux (or Corris Grey if they can get that to me sooner), Almond interior, Heavy Duty pkg, Vision pkg and Sat radio. No Black Pkg as my wife doesn't like the black door handles on the Bronze (in the Lux package the door handles match the exterior color.) So I'll add the black roof rails and maybe change to black wheels someday. If we end up switching to Corris Grey then I would do that Black Package. To be honest, at the end of the day I don't get a vehicle to look at it. I get it to go places and do things.

I will let you know once my order is confirmed with the dealer. Then I need to occupy myself with other interests so that the wait doesn't get to me!

zenphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems the dealers like white, red and black; probably because they sell the most.
This year, with the engine shortage and the delays in getting their allocations, for sure, we'll have to distract ourselves while we wait. I was hoping for an April/May delivery. June.....that will be tough. But then.....the best fishing in Colorado is in August/September. Something to look forward too......

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. May is usually mud season in Colorado as I am sure you know. Though I will be somewhat new to backroad touring in Colorado (previously limited because I owned a ***** Utility Vehicle) from what I read the best time is July-October. I'm just hoping to have it for a road trip to Seattle in late June to see our first grandchild. I would hate to have to tell our kids, "Sorry, I can't come see our first grandchild for a few weeks because my new LR4 is not here yet.")

zenphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan, If you get the LR4, I'd venture to say that you'll be all over Colorado! ...and elsewhere. Congrats on your first Grandchild. I've got 6. The older ones are starting to hike/fish with me. Something else for you to look forward to !
If you don't make the roadtrip to Seattle in the LR4.....at least you'll have a valid excuse....for flying there :)

Gmosley

Reaction score
I just received good news about my order (LUX, Black Pack, HD, Corris Gray). Originally I was told an Apr build completion date, now it is early March. Now it looks as though it will be in LA for pick up when I return to the US in Jun and can drive it back to IL. We won't be in a rush to get to IL so we will have plenty of time for fun diversions along the way.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just received good news about my order (LUX, Black Pack, HD, Corris Gray). Originally I was told an Apr build completion date, now it is early March. Now it looks as though it will be in LA for pick up when I return to the US in Jun and can drive it back to IL. We won't be in a rush to get to IL so we will have plenty of time for fun diversions along the way.

When was your order placed??

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM