2015 Engine Break-In Period?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Derman

Reaction score
My wife has a LUX on order and we are due to pick it up right before a scheduled road trip. I looked but I didn't see anything on this forum or otherwise - only a mention on a 2012 model, which has a different engine.

Anyone know or otherwise have advice for me? I, of course, have read the gen'l info on this topic, but was wondering if anyone here subscribed to the 1,000 mile oil change and/or anything special for the LR engine.

Thx.

Last edited:

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife has a LUX on order and we are due to pick it up right before a scheduled road trip. I looked but I didn't see anything on this forum or otherwise - only a mention on a 2012 model, which has a different engine.

Anyone know or otherwise have advice for me? I, of course, have read the gen'l info on this topic, but was wondering if anyone here subscribed to the 1,000 mile oil change and/or anything special for the LR engine.

Thx.

There is none. I asked my sales guy and the service manager and they both told me LR does not have a break in procedure or requirement for an early service. I still took it somewhat easy for the first ~1,200 miles in our '15 Lux and varied speed over longer trips. I still might spring for an early fluid change since that is what I am used to on other cars and it makes sense to me.

Since you are getting a Lux, be aware of the potential issue with the cooler box wiring interfering with the sensors that control ride height and stability control. I posted a thread a couple weeks ago. May not hit you but we almost got stuck in the mountains and had to drive 100 miles home on the bumpstops because of it. Still no permanent fix, they just pulled the fuse to the box. Just FYI

Derman

Reaction score
Colorover - thx for the reply.

I'm planning to do as you mentioned because, just like you, it makes sense to me.

I saw your note on the cooler box (thanks for that) and if I don't see an update/fix on that prior to our delivery in April, I'll probably just have them pull the fuse out before I drive it off the lot. Please do keep us updated.

This is my first foray into the Rover world, so I'm a little nervous.

Causeway LR4

Reaction score
Even though they say no break in period, it still needs to be done. Just like "lifetime" fluids need to be changed. I usually make sure to do a lot of city driving with mixed highway to vary engine speed. No towing and I wouldn't set off on a road trip, put the cruise on and sit there for hours at the same rpm. An oil change before 1500 miles is another good idea.

It is funny how different car manufacturers are about break in. BMW M cars have a 1200 mile break in, they change oil and diff fluids and then "unlock" the car to its full potential. Needless to say, the 1st 1200 miles are no fun!

Bottom line is there are a lot of moving parts that need to slowly get to know each other.

Reaction score
There is break in instructions in the owners manual in the 2015. Pretty standard as far as I can tell but it is in there :smile:

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the others for the most part. I think every engine should be "broken in." Especially for the first 500-1000 miles I never set the cruise and I drive like a Yo-Yo on the hwy by varrying speeds. I wont tow for the first 500 either. I always take the stance that you dont baby it but you dont drive it like you stole it either. Being too easy on the engine during break can cause probems later on as well. The key is to put moderate load on the engine from time to time. Accelerate briskly every so often in town, do the same on the hwy. Do NOT drone away at one speed for extended periods on the highway.

Ive yet to own a LR but since the first oil change is customarily free, I always change the oil at around 1000-1500 miles in my domestics.

Good luck annd congrats.

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive yet to own a LR but since the first oil change is customarily free, I always change the oil at around 1000-1500 miles in my domestics.

The first scheduled oil change is free (at 1 year or 15K miles, whichever occurs first.) If you want an oil change at 1000-1500 miles, be advised that the dealer will charge you for it.

Derman

Reaction score
Roger on the charge for the oil change - I'll probably utilize that opportunity to make my first visit to an independent shop that is nearby or even invest in the DIY process you posted, which was great.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo