2015 LR4 HSE LUX Battery Replacement

Discussion in 'LR4' started by Tim Simpson, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Tim Simpson

Tim Simpson New Member

It’s looking like a battery’s replacement. What are the special steps I need to follow from getting myself in trouble?

2. TCM75

TCM75 Full Access Member

Could it be covered under warranty? Mine was replaced under warranty in Nov 2017.

3. Lgibson

Lgibson Full Access Member

Our 2015 was covered but I did not like the shape of the top part of the Interstate the dealer uses. Bought an exact replacement from Bulb and Batteries. I’m a nut on battery hold-downs. IIRC he also wanted to use the smaller group size.

4. LR4andC4GTS

LR4andC4GTS New Member

AAA will come to your house and put in a new battery, take away your old, for a whooping total of about $80 (assuming you're already a member). It is the same battery as Interstate. Not sure if it is same as OEM (who quoted me like $250). No special steps were required following install of new battery. Has been 2 years, no issues. Battery has a warranty, but I don't remember it. I have a 2013 LR4, btw.

5. DavidSG

DavidSG Active Member

Can you share the brand / specs of the battery you purchased?

My 2016 that I recently purchased had an Autocraft Gold H7 (non-AGM) installed. I told CarMax that the manual states it should have an AGM battery and they replaced it with an Interstate MTP-49/H8 - which is larger but I believe not an AGM battery.

A little frustrated but not sure if I should care. My concern is potential warranty coverage if something goes wrong and the dealer blames it on a non-OEM spec battery. Should I be worried about this?

6. ktm525

ktm525 Full Access Member

H8 is the proper battery. People replace with H7 sometimes because it fits easier. The H8 has a larger reserve capacity which is important considering all the e do dads the LR4 has.

7. backcountryLR4

backcountryLR4 Full Access Member

Dealer replaced both my batteries under warranty in my 2015 this year...

8. DavidSG

DavidSG Active Member

Good to know. Although any thoughts on whether a flooded (non-AGM) battery is ok?

9. ktm525

ktm525 Full Access Member

Well it was stock in the 2010s, not sure if that changed along the way. Flood battery has worked fine. AGM is probably better. Can you get one in a H8?

10. DavidSG

DavidSG Active Member

Yeah - I guess it was changed in later year models where AGM is the OEM spec (referenced in the manual and confirmed by the dealership). It does look like Interstate makes an H8 AGM battery - the MTX-49/H8. I'll see if CarMax is willing to swap it out with that one but I assume it's fine to keep the wet/flooded battery if they refuse.