2016 Brake Controller Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

awayteam

Reaction score
Hey guys, after reading and searching, I'm a little confused as to what I need for a brake controller for my 2016 LR4 (Landmark). I recently bought a camper trailer and am needing a brake controller to install before towing. The one sold by Atlantic British says it's compatible with up to 2013 LR4s only. I have the factory-installed tow package, but am unclear whether I need a brake controller add-on under the dash, what model/brand, or if I already have everything I need. Thanks in advance.

Forty Deuce

Reaction score
I too have a 2016.5 LR4. Atlantic British told me the same thing. I went through the same frustrations and dead ends. Even the dealership had no answers. I bought a Tekonsha P3 brake controller and it mated perfectly with a Ford-Mercury wiring harness. I tow a Lance trailer using the 7-pin connection and it has been a flawless set up. I posted about this several weeks ago to help for situations like yours.

Forty Deuce

Reaction score
I how to post my previous thread but I posted it on August 12 so you can scroll back a few pages and find it pretty easily with some more information.

awayteam

Reaction score
Thanks so much for solving this for me. I really appreciate it. Ordered!

awayteam

Reaction score
One more thing... Does anyone have a recommendation for a Weight Distribution Hitch model/brand?

Forty Deuce

Reaction score
So there is a lot out there about not using a full weight distribution hitch as it interferes with the Tow Assist software in the Land Rover. I use a single sided anti-sway set up and programmed the trailer to my LR4 using the trailer tracking target (Looks like a triangle with three large black dots in it. You should have received one but if not they can be ordered for less than $20.)

It’s up to you of course how you proceed but that’s what I did. I would read the owners manual about towing in detail.

DonnieRB

Reaction score
I have an LR3 that I've used to tow a 29' camping trailer for years. In my prior research, you do not want to use a load distribution hitch because it will overwork the air shock leveling system. As the prior post added, an anti-sway set up can be very useful on lighter trailers. Anything less than 20 feet, especially pop-ups. It makes a huge difference driving in the wind.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99