2016 Discovery Sport, No Crank, No Start, multiple errors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pwcrossl

Reaction score
Some background info: my 2016 Disco Sport has had an ongoing issue of displaying “battery low, please start engine.” Seems like there’s some parasitic drain or some system not completely shutting off.

Beyond that, no performance issues at all. Fast forward to last Friday, I get in, press the start button, dash lights up, gauges go up, nothing happens. It doesn’t provide any error messages, just no crank, no start, no turnover. If I take my foot off of the brake and press the push button just to turn the car on, then I get a laundry list of errors:

- HDC not available
- Gearbox fault
- EBD fault
- Engine temperature indication fails
- ABS fault
- Emergency brake assist not available
- Two wheel drive only, traction reduced
- SOS system not available

Seems like an electrical/computer issue, so I checked the battery first. It’s the original Varta battery, so I assumed it was just shot. I took the battery to AutoZone to see if I could find a stock replacement, and the battery tested good. I put it on slow charge overnight and it holds ~12.75V consistently. I did find that the negative battery terminal was loose, so took the connector off, opened up the gap, and used a lead shim to get it tightened. I took all of the ground straps off of the negative terminal assembly and polished up both ends and the grounding locations on the frame. No change.

Opened up the footwells on passenger and driver side and didn’t find any corroded connectors or wires. Pulled the starter relay and put a jumper across the terminals and the starter engages, so I don’t think it‘s a starter problem. I‘m wondering if it’s the alternator since (even after just charging the battery) I shortly start getting the “low battery, start engine” message.

I’ve seen lots of posts of others having these litany of error messages, but most of the ones I’ve seen, the vehicle still cranks and drives, just no HDC or traction control. Mine does absolutely nothing. I’m pretty competent with mechanical issues, but the electrical stuff is tougher for me to troubleshoot. Any advice that would keep me from having this thing towed to a shop?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If it is the Original battery it is bad, any battery can hold a 12v charge, but when a load is put on it, it will fail. If you haven't changed the battery, just plan on starting with that option.

pwcrossl

Reaction score
I thought so too, but had the battery tested at Autozone and it checked out good. I read that their tester checked whether or not the battery was putting out the required CCA’s.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Having worked on many Rovers and a lot of other vehicles as well. I would start by purchasing a new battery. I have an old school battery tester that puts a load on the battery. I have tested and it shows battery Voltage drop instantly. Autozone said battery was good. Purchased a new battery issues have been resolved. Sadly 90% of the people that work at autozone and other autoparts stores have never turned a wrench.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA