1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2020 defender off road pack - rear locker

Discussion in 'Defender L663 (2020 - Present)' started by joseph michael, Sep 14, 2020.

1. m_lars

m_lars Full Access Member

The difference between the LR4 and the new Defender is that Land Rover has made it clear the new Defender is targeted at the off road segment, unlike the LR4. True, there is not much aftermarket yet, but what company has been able to get ahold of one? That’s just starting now and there will be an explosion. With the positive reviews it’s received on trips like the one LR did in Namibia, unless it falls on its face in terms of reliability it will be one of the greats in terms of off road vehicles.

2. joseph michael

joseph michael Member

thank you for all the info rob very helpful.

3. DirtyHal

DirtyHal Full Access Member

4. morrisdl

morrisdl Full Access Member

ALSO - I am sure the traction control is very good in the Def2. I added an ARB locker to a 5 year old rover and it hasn't really enabled me to tackle more extreme terrain. It just does now with less strain on the drive line now. Without lockers the traction control is literally fighting against the engine, with repetitive on/off torque though the CVs and brakes. Id be less concerned on a new vehicle without lockers, but it will be very nice for a 10 year old with one. I also prefer my manual control of the locker(s) vs letting the computer decide. YMMV.

5. PWD2

PWD2 Active Member

Or an old defender and put Ashcroft lockers in. A lifted 90 on 33s 255/85/16 with lockers gets you to a lot of places. If you want to sleep in the back or carry gear, a 110 is nearly as good.

6. morrisdl

morrisdl Full Access Member

I dont own either 90 or 110, but spot both alot...IMHO the 110s seem lot less bouncy (better climbing traction) and more than make up for the breakover disadvantage if equipped with a winch.

7. m_lars

m_lars Full Access Member

New or old, they seem to cost about the same!

joseph michael likes this.
  8. Keith Mann

Keith Mann New Member

I picked up my Defender last week with the locking rear diff. My dealership got in 15 and I picked this one off the list. It was expensive, about 80k, but worth it in the long run for me as I am often in the mud and off road for work. Of the 15 that were coming in only 2 had this option, though. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Troy Angrignon

Troy Angrignon Full Access Member

Great looking truck. What will you be doing for tires/wheels? Keep what's on it or swap to something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Keith Mann

Keith Mann New Member

I would like to go down to 19s at some point but these 20s are growing on me. A set of five rims and tires is pretty expensive so I will likely wait until the spring. The Michelins it came with have been pretty good in the mud so far, as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro