21 MPG not bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's truly extraordinary mileage for a 6000 pound truck with a V8 producing 375 hp... Really!!! Kudos to LR.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my best tank driving at 65-75mph on flat terain. The trhuck was fully loaded with five and all the luggage to boot. We also had a large cooler on the back full of beer and soda; easily 120 cans and ice. It was also hot as hell out; 98-102 and high humidity.

Rob

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am up to 19 mpg in mixed driving conditions @ 2k miles on it; a lot better than the anticipated 13 mpg

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went up to Big Bear CA this weekend and even did a little off road and ended up with 18.5 if you believe the onboard computer.
My onboard computer is on average 2 mpg too generous on its estimates. I do a manual calculation on every fill up.

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've mentioned this on a previous post, but I recently purchased a 2011 LR4, and traded in a 2008 GMC Acadia. The Acadia and other similar crossovers are heavily promoted for their so-called better fuel efficiency (compared to other SUVs), but in 3 years I never averaged more than 12-13 mpg in mixed driving or more than 17-18 on longer trips (pretty bad for a car with a 16 city/24 hwy mpg rating). Could be my driving style, but the GMC's smaller 6 cylinder engine (and the quirky 6-speed transmission they put in there) always needed to rev much higher (and usually needed to downshift) just to keep pace up virtually any sort of incline. Driving the LR4, the RPMs generally stay nice and low unless I really press the pedal down.

I just looked on the EPA web site, and it states MPG estimates are based solely on driving on flat terrain. (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/factors.shtml) That is obviously not the norm in most parts, and seems like it could have a significant effect on some lesser powered vehicles that need to fight their way up hills, whereas more powerful vehicles (like the LR4) are probably less affected by hills and inclines. Anyway, it seems the biggest knock on the LR4 in reviews is the poor gas mileage, yet my experience (and apparently the experience of others on here) seems to be at least somewhat better than the EPA ratings (and actually better than my former fuel-efficient SUV alternative), whereas my experience and that of many others I know suggest the 6 cylinder crossovers experience significantly lower mileage than the EPA ratings.

So, all things being equal, who wouldn't prefer a nice strong V8?

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a Diesel Turbocharged V6. Still I'm happy with the mileage I'm getting

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think we will see an oil burner in the LR4 here in the sates; at least during this model run. I would speculate that maybe the replacement for the LR4 would have one.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635