25000 miles, $950 front brakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After hearing some front brake squeaking for a few days, took my LR4 to the dealer and was told I need new rotors and pads for $950!?!?!? Still have 4-5mm on front brakes, so he said it was not emergent right now...but within 5000 miles it has to be done.
Does that make sense?? Especially the rotors...why do i need to get those already??

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. . .You can find a place to do it cheaper or you can do it yourself. Up to you. This is a heavy vehicle and it burns through brake pads pretty quick, especially if you do a lot of city driving.

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had a TSB repair for the back brakes for the same exact thing (squeaking while backing up)....does anyone happen to have that TSB #???

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i can understand burning through pads quickly, but the rotars as well? wow

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had a TSB repair for the back brakes for the same exact thing (squeaking while backing up)....does anyone happen to have that TSB #???

I had this rear brake TSB done as I noticed squeaking when reversing. Now, I hear squeaking when breaking at a light. I told LR service this and they said it's normal. ***?

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After hearing some front brake squeaking for a few days, took my LR4 to the dealer and was told I need new rotors and pads for $950!?!?!? Still have 4-5mm on front brakes, so he said it was not emergent right now...but within 5000 miles it has to be done.
Does that make sense?? Especially the rotors...why do i need to get those already??

I am sorry...if you have 4-5mm on your pads...there is no reason why you should need rotors as of yet. I am approaching 30k on mine and never had to replace my rotors. 2 pad jobs..but never the rotors and guess what? The first time i was told the same thing to replace the rotor but i did not listen to them and never went back to them. 17k later..SAME ROTORS! The price of $950 is not that far off but i would take it to a local shop that can do the job first before committing to rotors.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the parts for under $300, find a shop or DIY.

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotors should be ok at 25K, but you won’t know for sure until you measure it. Just ask dealer to measure it and compare it to the min by specs…

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had my '11 LR4 in for its 15k visit, and was told I have about 3-4mm left on the brake pads (I have about 14k miles). They said the rotors are OK, and don't need replacing, but that sometimes when you replace the pads and not the rotors it can lead to some squeaking (although performance is not compromised). Based on what I find online, their parts prices seem reasonable (for some parts they are less than what the online sites offer), but of course the labor is a killer. I've never changed brakes on a car, but 4 hrs of labor to change all 4 brake pads seems pretty high (1 hour per pad?). If I choose to change the rotors as well, it adds another 2 hrs of labor (total of 6 hours to change all pads/rotors/sensors). Is this just the dealer being a typical dealer, or do these cars somehow take longer to swap brakes? I realize not all cars have the wear sensors, but I'm guessing that adds only a few more minutes to the project.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99