255/55 R19 for street/off-road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...you probably should've thought twice about taking those tires off-road. They are not suited for that.

Ahh maybe you're right, but the reason I bought the LR3 over the other SUV's we looked at is just so we have the ability to go off-road. That and I couldn't see replacing tires that had more than 50% tread left on them.

Waiting for a local dealer to price me a set of the Nokians.

J.D.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I didn't say you shouldn't take the LR3 off-road, just not those tires! Believe, I have faced the same dilema. I throw on the 32" MT/Rs for my wheelin' adventures! You could always get the 255/55R19 MT/Rs and be done with it!

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I didn't say you shouldn't take the LR3 off-road, just not those tires! Believe, I have faced the same dilema. I throw on the 32" MT/Rs for my wheelin' adventures! You could always get the 255/55R19 MT/Rs and be done with it!

I'd love to go with the MTR, but my wife would shoot me for the road noise!

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW - The tires on the rig are a Bridgestone Dueler. Not a bad tire for street, but not desirable off-road.

And the local price for the Nokian WRG2's is $228 ea plus $29 for M&B and road hazard. Seems reasonable for a 19" tire. Need to see what I can find for the Pirelli

J.D.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've decided. I'm going to bite the bullet and go Nokians next. I already have MT/Rs so that offsets some of the mileage anyway. Those Synchrones I wear have been off-road multiple times, but they don't belong there.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another tire thrown into the mix by my tire guy is the Hankook Ventus RH07's.

seem to get good reviews, but doesn't seem like a good tire for the occasional mild off-road excursion. Plus the tread looks so...average.

Then there is the Toyo Open Country AT, which looks a little better, but $26 more per tire.

J.D.

Last edited:

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sorry to have taken you guys on this ride with me because it seems like a lot of up and down. BUT, I just ordered me a set of Toyo Open Country H/T's from treaddepot.com No one could touch their price. I have them coming to my door complete with road hazard for $872. Another $50 for Mount and Balance and I am in good shape!

BTW - call treaddepot if you plan to order tires because he gave me a better price on shipping than what the site calculated.

I will review once I have the tires and hopefully revisit a few miles down the road.

J.D.

goinsurfin

Reaction score
My experience with ATRs has been quite impressive: 34k+ miles after 2 years and still have at least another 10k to go (supposedly a 50k tire). However i recently noticed small cracks across each tire as if they are "dryed out." Perhaps they sat in a warehouse for some time and aged before I bought them from TR. I'll consider buying another set of ATRs because they have a good life span, they're very quiet on road, wear well, and are aggressive enough for the few times I am on trails. As an option, I have a set of 18" wheels to explore wheel options there too..

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Initial Impressions

I mounted and balanced the Toyo's last night. I took a little drive down the highway near my house just to see what they were like. So far I love them! They are quite, ride nice and smooth, and don't seem to have any weird handling issues.

I can't wait to get them on a slick road, but with the forecast we have, it'll be weeks before that happens. Then I would like to get them offroad and see how they do there.

Will post up as I accomplish each.

J.D.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635