285/60R18 Truth or Fiction?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because of the way an independent suspension is designed, extending everything further downward in the travel draws the wheel in closer to the frame.

Yup!! Too often people don't just stop and think about the basic geometry here. It's so simple it's silly. Another funny thing is that the front tires get closest to the upper control arm when the tires are extended down the most. They draw in like you said and the UCA comes closer to the inside face of the tire.

The biggest goof up people seem to do is to think a wheel spacer will help with fitting a larger tire.... LOL

285 section does look cool though, especially when flush with the fenders ;)

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
285 width also is a bit wide/bulgy for the overall look of the truck

The proportion is also a factor to consider. The ratio between width and height on the tire will affect how the vehicle feels at speed especially when cornering but also in its safety during emergency shifts at speed, like collision avoidance.

A more "square" section to the wheel is going to be the most responsive and stable. A wider tread v lower height is going to first look like it's a lot wider than the wheel and then it's going to handle like crap. Examples above are a very square 265/65x18 vs the 285/60x18. Now, it's about the wheel width which is 8" on a factory land rover wheel.

The 285/60 is really a pretty bad match and anyone saying otherwise is basically full of Schitt ! Unless you're driving off road all the time, and basically only off road, that section is going to suck for the way most of us use these vehicles.

The 265/65 practically forms a square section resulting in more stable sidewall as you shift the vehicle weight side to side.

For comparison, and even tighter handling example, on a land rover even, is something like a 275/45-20". That tread is even tucked in a little from the width of the wheel making it even more solid for cornering with the tire not deflecting hardly at all even under massive loads.

The wide 285 bulging out and then pulled back in at the rim is the opposite. A wallowing balloon ride.

spodie

Reaction score
I have a 2012 LR4 with a rhino hitch installed. I was unable to get my 285/60r18 Nitto Grappler spare to fit in the spare tire area. Tried removing the heat shield, airing down, cinching the tire up with straps.. That damn hitch nub wasn't having it. Even without the nub I'm not sure it will fit. I'll try again when one of the main tires is down to 1/2 tread.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM