32” tire and gap tool suspension setting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR Tony

Reaction score
Hi! I’m finally moving up to 275/65/18 BFG AT KO2s on Friday. Are any of you with 32s running a constant slightly higher than stock setting for the road via the Gap Tool? I’ve played with it a couple of times but not 100% if I’m doing it right. Do I need to be on a perfectly flat surface to set and save a ride height setting? Assuming the increments are in mm?

Lastly, what’s the consensus on getting an alignment afterwards? I’m on 19s with stock size Duratracs… had alignment done a few months ago. If I stay at same ride height, should I skip it or will the larger tire itself justify a need to get an alignment. Also depending on the ride height raised I assume it would be beneficial to do an alignment - curious if there is recommendations on the parameters whereby it’s advised to do an alignment? Such as if raising by 15mm or more for ongoing road use = get an alignment. Thank you!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run that size, and I run around town in stock height settings. No rubbing issues except maybe in tight downhill turns (like my driveway if I'm backed in and exiting) and then on the trail I use my GAP tool.

If I were running a lift all the time, though, I would indeed get it aligned. Just letting you know that at that tire size, it isn't completely necessary.

LR Tony

Reaction score
I run that size, and I run around town in stock height settings. No rubbing issues except maybe in tight downhill turns (like my driveway if I'm backed in and exiting) and then on the trail I use my GAP tool.

If I were running a lift all the time, though, I would indeed get it aligned. Just letting you know that at that tire size, it isn't completely necessary.
Thanks! Appreciate that confirmation on stock height. I do a full lock u turn fairly often when I drive depending on where I park which has
me thinking about a slight raise. I could just make that a 3 point turn I suppose.
Best to see how it manages at the stock setting. I’ll skip the alignment to, no sense getting that right away

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Appreciate that confirmation on stock height. I do a full lock u turn fairly often when I drive depending on where I park which has
me thinking about a slight raise. I could just make that a 3 point turn I suppose.
Best to see how it manages at the stock setting. I’ll skip the alignment to, no sense getting that right away
I ran that size Duratracs before I bumped up to 265/70/18 Cooper S/T Maxx. I ran into a little rubbing at full lock on the bumper on the drivers side on flat ground. There’s definitely some slop in how the inner fender is mounted to the bumper cover that can be adjusted. I did a little tweaking and took a flappy disc on a grinder to smooth out the edge of the bumper cover. They’re all just a little different in how the parts sit relative to each other.

If you’d like to run a little lift but are concerned about alignment, lift it and take it in for an alignment check. Most places don’t charge for that and then you know if your good or not.

Personally I think it looks better with a little bit of lift, it keeps the fender to wheel gap more off-roady and less lowered street car.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick