4-Wheel Alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Here's the last alignment numbers I got. The problem is that our suspension is adjusting itself. As soon as you turn it off it drops an inch, and messes with your alignment.

If you have the GAP iidtool, just put the body control for the suspension in tight tolerances at the alignment shop. And don't forget to turn it off right after.

1516139657530184899574.jpg

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any harm in getting LR3/4 alignment done at a local tire shop vs the stealerships?
In the Mercedes world (where I'm more proficient), taking your MB to a generic alignment shop almost guarantees the alignment won't be done properly. Mercedes requires a few uncommon procedures that are different from the norm for setting toe, and usually only the dealer will do it properly. Indy alignment shops that do a lot (like, a hundred per year or more) with a tech that knows MB's very well can do the alignment no problem, but those types of indy shops are rare.

Anyway - it kinda sounds like there may be a similar situation with the LR air suspension. The dealer should always do it properly, but not as cheap. Unless the indy shop knows how to set the suspension in "tight tolerance" mode, AND has the GAP IID tool to enable this mode, I get the impression we are gambling the cost of a set of tires if we have the alignment done elsewhere.

I haven't owned our LR4 long enough to need an alignment yet; so far the tires are wearing evenly. When the time comes I'll just go to the dealer. Hopefully they aren't more than the ~$150 or so the MB dealer charges nowadays.

:albertein

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even any "El Cheapo" 20K mile max life tyre should go the distance with properly aligned vehicle.
Unless it was rear tyre excessive wear due to rearend squat on hard acceleration, my guess toe-out is too excessive vs camber.
Do LR3's or 4's going into a turn tjhat spec the rears going from a toe-in condition (straight ahead) to toe-out for improved handling?
Reason asking that is what 80's era BMW rear suspension changes happened while cornering.
Wrong toe and camber (caster another boogie boo with left to right pulling)
will also eat expensive 80K mile tyres, just takes longer or higher mileage to see the wear damage.
Another issue is suspensions with super soft (note high deflection) suspension bushings allowing for that luxurious ride do the opposite with maintaining tighter toe, camber and caster alignment set specs.
Another bad feature with LR's having their agressive street looks with wide tyres.
Wider the more critical it is to have spot on alignment, even then tread wear still becomes a problem vs narrower tyre tread widths able to absorb a little bit more of out of alignment before showing their bad tyre wear issues.
Camber left vs right side is usually different allowing for roadway crest but increases left pull on a almost flat highway driving. This another issue with pulling to the left when all other alignment specs have been met.
.....~~=o&o>......

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
www.GoRacin.com[/URL] tool. Toe a length of 1" square aluminum bar stock with DIY spacers measuring off the hubs (not wobbling rims orflexing sidewalls moving around with straight edge. Transpose down to the ground at front and rear of the tyres at tread areas.
So far (45 plus years) never had to use alignment shops including the 68 F250 Ford PU with their twin "I" beam PITA front ends that shops destroy not having a clue how to bend beams (camber) properly.
The 95 D1 hasn't had alignment done since new and is still dead nuts spec on at 142K with perfect tread wear. Poly bushings installed vs sloppy soft rubber OEM bushings realigned to past recorded specs.
.....~~=o&o>......

:albertein

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting an alignment done today. Is the "tight tolerances mode" in the service menu of the GAP tool?

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting an alignment done today. Is the "tight tolerances mode" in the service menu of the GAP tool?
I assume you are getting the alignment done somewhere besides the dealership?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume you are getting the alignment done somewhere besides the dealership?

Yes. I bought a lifetime alignment from my local Firestone a few years ago for $150, and have gotten 3 or 4 alignments since then. They've all been pretty good, even though I never thought to put it in tight tolerances mode until this time.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, a 3 year 9 month old thread comes alive again. Solid axles forever at this hut.

Checked a friend's 94 Disco a couple years ago that has more frequent air miles than a stewardress practicing the Mile High Club with zero alignment changes, this at over 30K hard miles since fully Poly installed......~~=o&o>.......

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA