5.0 supercharged into an LR4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are officially my hero! (Except the fact that I have all the modules you listed….except for the keyless receivers! [emoji2357]). May have to pull the trigger on a whole new set of modules! [emoji31]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, did you pull all your modules from a RR or a RRS? I'm REALLY hoping the receiver, entry sensor and antenna are not needed since I pulled everything from a RRS..... I hope...I hope...I hope... I've got the KVM, just not the other 3 modules.

In theory they're not VIN coded, but who the heck knows, I guess if they're all tied together, then you couldn't just switch one module and steal the car? You have the empirical data, so I'll defer to you on whether it'll work or not.

Keyless Vehicle Module (KVM) [BJ32-19H440-BG]
- behind rear passenger side panel between the 2nd and 3rd row

Keyless receiver [ah42-15k602-ac]
- between driver seat and 2nd row driver side seat under the headliner

Keyless Entry Sensor [Ah4n-15607-ae]
-
inside lower steering column trim

KVM Antenna (Ch22-15k602-cb)
-
up under the front overhead lights / sunroof controls

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to keep asking questions, but where did you find the $20 EEPROM for the instrument cluster? [emoji2962] I searched high and low and could only find a sketchy software system that could change the mileage on your instrument cluster….but could change the VIN or anything like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hermes

Reaction score
You may not need all the modules, I wasn't going to take that risk though so I sourced a barely touched part out to get them all from. You for sure will need the instrument cluster, the body control module, and the main KVM as those all have the security code. The antennas and such may not be vin coded. They all are from a RRS, like previously stated, the KVM on a RR has only two plugs, the RRS has three which is what the LR4 has as the pic I added shows

upload_2021-6-15_22-45-19.png

EEPROM reader was from Amazon and its actually only 11.99:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R5LPTYM/

The chip is on the back of the instrument cluster, so it will need taken apart. I know about the coding as I swapped and retrofitted in a full LCD thanks to the info on a UK forum where a guy did a rough write up and I attempted it myself. The EEPROM reader is a clip on, so no soldering required. Clip, read and save the original file from your instrument cluster to your laptop using the eeprom program (I had to source the computer software and can share it if needed as the Amazon one didn't come with it). Read the same for the new cluster for comparing. I used a site called hex-works.com to compare, highlight, and edit my EEPROM files then save them and rewright them on the chip.

If you are maintaining your old LR4 cluster, all you need to do is find the security code (not the vin, really that doesn't matter except when you want to display it on the cluster) from the RRS cluster and rewrite it onto the LR4 cluster file in the same place and then rewrite that file onto the EEPROM. The security code on the one's I've seen are where the yellow highlight is and its at the top of the coding page. The VIN is slightly above the security code and fairly obvious.
upload_2021-6-15_23-1-17.png

If you are just swapping for the RRS cluster along with the modules and want to just do the mileage, you also will need to read both and compare. Find the mileage (highlighted in red and at the bottom part of the coding page) and copy those couple lines from your original cluster, paste them onto the file of the new module, downloaded it, and write it onto the new clusters EEPROM.
upload_2021-6-15_23-6-50.png

The chip of interest if I remember correctly is this one (labeled "IC401") which I am pointing to:
8DwPZA-R9a3KYg61D550mhjb3a6bW5PBZ4gIMPgkNA7zLV1nnWWDdgrTkilKpKJZ6qARmj44KJXcbZUdHE2bclnxoxb1ItwiCEpoxxXWNNIrXDEpOCWN7SROX5eEo3cgEz313URtb7oMF7-Ux3PuH2n6djF2ARb0A-OT6My3hSIJyZ66bgkpE7q845NlhNQpvOhzivMB7910Nk6Am5CAbsE4UfP0jrpFpWDEomzMELhNbpDQWNuIbXpiCbYtANOZM9f1Dcs-aH1YxDQxH7INJxtcpEdYDDDRb1dbmlSBaKrm0t81r5lOfL13ngGquVF5dTzMQ9B0bBcmpNG1Ab_FY0QVzUydFDvJZMYmZ61b_wy4OAx5VX4Lnpn3UznoqaO8xNbbstS4zCsH-YjmktcNBbcumeftGaCdCL3t3vCJsvwsLHGDyYslRFeHtoqKYclt5eyvRFKAJ_Jhcoh5oMunPfLaFbjSME4zyK4MYrOf29hQ20HIi3NybszK0imaHbdnAUZNMpHBBwjfm_JxWLDJpA8f3So0DQlXJdWWvHYppphd46beDUDKlFeO6GdbxkRpM1O0k31VvKQDMNmR3HXPwoIZXXfAc81TpLgJLLoIgLCj5eDfQrijekQWNoL5Ecf3cMt2-zsQd0PC6c_LJZ1kXClq5gvylpjCg4g-Ff0RkwsbHRBCr7vJi2ksInXKW_EF-0_YTQogwDawx18ZdhNO5HHG_A=w732-h975-no

That eeprom reader will go into a USB on your laptop, the clip end will clip right over the 8 legs of that EEPROM chip and using the software to read and downloaded it along with the hex-works editor, you can do it all or swap in an LCD screen if you really wanted. I can help you with any part of this as needed. I messed with these for awhile before understanding what's what.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, that's an amazing write up!!!! Thank you very much for that! While I'm very capable at soldering and electronics, coding is not my strong point, so I'm glad you led the charge! I just purchased the EEPROM reader and will download the hex editor in a little bit!

For my swap, I was just planning on swapping the RRS's instrument cluster in and changing the vehicle graphic and mileage.......buuuuut, if I can just get away with recoding the VIN on my LR4 cluster, it may be worth it? The proof will be in the "does it start" pudding!

How bad was the LCD swap? Aside from a better LR4 picture, and better pixel density, does it really give you anything more? It definitely sounds interesting, just not sure I want to go down that rabbit hole.... That said, I may attempt the upgrade on the RRS cluster so if I screw it up, I can always use the LR4 cluster! lol!! (or vice versa)

Oh, and yes, all my modules are from the same RRS, and I too have them all, ECU, BCM, KVM, Elec Brake module, and instrument cluster....just don't have the KVM sensors....I looked and they're all the same part numbers as the LR4's, and in theory not VIN coded.....fingers crossed!!!

Also, I'm not sure which system you're using to re-write the CCF, but I'm planning on using Black Box solutions' system. They have an online editor, and from what I can tell a decent support forum if you get stuck. That said, as we just moved and my wife has dictated the house comes first, I probably won't be starting this project for another few months. However, she needs to take the Rover across country this winter, so I'll have to have it finished by then!

I've also been trying to source all the systems for the enhance sway bar stability controllers to see if I could drop it in, but I haven't had any luck finding the parts.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have nothing to add, except to say this is a truly fascinating thread. The amount of collective knowledge on this forum is incredible. I am also giggling at the prospect of 510hp in an LR4. :D

Hermes

Reaction score
Here (should be) a link to all the files for the driver I used for the EEPROM reader from my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1tKsh9QoDTUNFKX0za9e6SkqVhy7V4_W2?usp=sharing

The program is initially in Chinese, but if you make a separate file within the file of all these files (yes that sounds really repetitive) and title that file "languages" and place the "english.ini" file in it, it should switch to English. This program is for the EEPROM reader and allows reading and downloading the data sets. I just use the HEX editor online because you can then upload those files, highlight areas, and compare, edit, and download the edited ones (example of it in use:
)

Both the RRS and LR4 clusters are identical, except one will show a Range Rover, the other a LR4 and the RRS has "supercharged" on the RPM dial. However, you will still need to read the RRS EEPROM as its the only module I know you can easily read to get the security code needed. In theory, you could just swap the RRS cluster with no editing if you are replacing all those other modules.

Now that I know where the codes are, the LCD swap was easy coding wise, the plug in the back is the same so no need to wire, but I had to retrofit it into the dash which took awhile.

I haven't been able to drive with the new LCD so cannot say much as my car's been out of commission for awhile and I added it in during that time (my engine had a head gasket leak at 86k miles, so that's why I set out for this swap) The clusters are fairly the same but bonus is you can get the 4x4 info on your cluster and it looks clearer and more updated, but you do lose the turn by turn directions which considering I am trying to get Android Auto and Google maps to work on my aftermarket infotainment screen I wasn't worried about that. I only have an old rough video which mostly showcases the custom retrofit but I do turn it on at the end:

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yet again, awesome write up, thank you!! Also, your setup looks great! I like the new cluster visor wrap!

It looks like I'm going to have to break out my old PC and edit the EEPROM files on there rather than downloading them to the PC, transferring them to my MAC then back again....totally easier to do it all in one spot.

Good to know about instrument cluster dimensions. I just wish they had a 2010-2012 RRS lcd display, instead of having to retrofit a FFRR cluster into the dash. I wonder if it's possible to disassemble the individual cluster component and fit the LCD screen into the RRS or LR4 housing? Truthfully, I'm not sure whether I'll just swap the clusters out so the stock supercharged cluster is in there, or if I'll swap and LCD cluster in or not....or maybe I'll just edit the EEPROM and keep the LR4 cluster, although that seems like more work for no reason when the SC cluster is just a "plug and play"....so to speak. Thanks to you, I know I can edit the mileage on the SC cluster so at least from that standpoint it should be a "seamless" transition to the SC engine.

Thanks again for all the files, it definitely helps those of us who are not coders by trade! lol!

doc5339

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here (should be) a link to all the files for the driver I used for the EEPROM reader from my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1tKsh9QoDTUNFKX0za9e6SkqVhy7V4_W2?usp=sharing

The program is initially in Chinese, but if you make a separate file within the file of all these files (yes that sounds really repetitive) and title that file "languages" and place the "english.ini" file in it, it should switch to English. This program is for the EEPROM reader and allows reading and downloading the data sets. I just use the HEX editor online because you can then upload those files, highlight areas, and compare, edit, and download the edited ones (example of it in use:
)

Both the RRS and LR4 clusters are identical, except one will show a Range Rover, the other a LR4 and the RRS has "supercharged" on the RPM dial. However, you will still need to read the RRS EEPROM as its the only module I know you can easily read to get the security code needed. In theory, you could just swap the RRS cluster with no editing if you are replacing all those other modules.

Now that I know where the codes are, the LCD swap was easy coding wise, the plug in the back is the same so no need to wire, but I had to retrofit it into the dash which took awhile.

I haven't been able to drive with the new LCD so cannot say much as my car's been out of commission for awhile and I added it in during that time (my engine had a head gasket leak at 86k miles, so that's why I set out for this swap) The clusters are fairly the same but bonus is you can get the 4x4 info on your cluster and it looks clearer and more updated, but you do lose the turn by turn directions which considering I am trying to get Android Auto and Google maps to work on my aftermarket infotainment screen I wasn't worried about that. I only have an old rough video which mostly showcases the custom retrofit but I do turn it on at the end:
I LOVE that FFRR TFT dash! Excellent job!!!

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’ve really piqued my interest into how much power we can get out of a 5lv8 sc in an lr4, maybe a passion project car is on the way……

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA