5.0 supercharged into an LR4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truthfully, we could get the most out of the newer SC engines as the Denso ECU of our "vintage" engines has some limitations. From what the tunes I've been talking to tell me, they're pretty much hitting a wall around 575-600HP with the Denso ECU's. Evidently the newer Bosch ECU's have more adaptability and they're able to tune well into the 600+HP range.

Hermes

Reaction score
Truthfully, we could get the most out of the newer SC engines as the Denso ECU of our "vintage" engines has some limitations. From what the tunes I've been talking to tell me, they're pretty much hitting a wall around 575-600HP with the Denso ECU's. Evidently the newer Bosch ECU's have more adaptability and they're able to tune well into the 600+HP range.
I've added a smaller upper pulley which adds ~25-30HP to the supercharger. They're readily available. There also is a larger lower crank pulley plus a tune which has gotten SC F-types and Range Rovers to 600+ HP. In addition, I've found a site that has high flow exhaust headers which paired with a good catback, I don't see why we couldn't reach over 600HP in these. The issue though is how long would it last before a weak spot breaks? Also, these all add up in $$$ lol.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I have a small update to make.

Earlier in the thread, I made the assumption the 5.0NA and 5.0SC blocks were the same. As I have recently found out, that is not the case. They are slightly different. Don't ask me how, because I have no idea, I just confirmed different part numbers, then I talked to a gentleman who is all over the internet selling his rebuilds, and he confirmed they're indeed different.

What this means is that my original plan to simply tear down and build up my current NA engine into a SC engine is a No-Go. :dontknow:

Soooooo.....I bit the bullet and ordered a Jag 5.0 SC engine....mainly cause I found one that wasn't psycho expensive. I did confirm the blocks are the same, and the only real differences between the Jag and LR engines appear to be the the accessories and the oil sump....all of which I have from a donor SC engine....and of course the stock LR4 engine. FYI, as I have been told, so please don't take this as gospel, the accessories on the LR engines are "water resistant" to allow the vehicles to go pretty deep into the water and still function over time. In line with that, the oil sump is a different design to ensure oil pressure is maintained at crazy angles. Again, that's all I've been told....I won't know anything truly concrete until I get into the engines and actually look at the differences.

Getting closer!

Hermes

Reaction score
Good Evening Gents,

My engine finally got installed end of June. However, despite the complete module swap and the N/A engine running on them when I brought it in, with the SC swapped in there was nothing. Screens would come on, but no engine click or noise. It also had 28 fault codes. I got the shop a new starter and got a new battery and still nothing, even found out they didn't plug in the engine wiring harness all the way (red flag for later) which did eliminate the majority of the codes, but still nothing. So the assumption was an immobilization or some fault in the modules post-swap as it was a completely new and rebuilt engine. I had the feeling it could be that or because of my less than pleasant dealing with the shop I suspected it could also be as simple as something not plugged in. However, I had no way to pinpoint easily so with Land Rover being literally a block up the street I towed it there, explained what I had done so far to their both interest and disbelief, and they agreed to look at it. Fast forward two weeks of them being busy and not being able to diagnose it until today, I drove to the lot because I now have a Nanocom and knew the engine needed a full oil change now it was installed. The Rover tech that unbeknownst to me had looked at it today came and told me something beautiful: it starts and runs! Turns out the shop that did my install didn't ground the engine properly:argh:

Now I did find out after getting my Nanocom the CCF files are going to present a problem, the locks do not work, having a split tailgate does not work, and my 2nd and 3rd row rear AC/heat does not function. This is because the BCM is set for the Range Rover and never had those as an option. The only way around this is get the seed files from Land Rover directly (not the dealer) but they said Rover would never approve it for what I am doing OR the more plausible option is putting in the LR4 BCM and modules back in and figuring out getting the RRSC ECU to work.

My air suspension won't raise currently, the rebuilt SC snout and smaller performance pulley are a little wack with a constant horrifying screeching, there's a intercooler coolant leak, the auxiliary coolant pump is overly loud, there's little areas of smoke and a burning smell (told its because its a new engine), and it struggles to start BUT with the 5 minutes I had before my dealership closed I recorded this on the lot, here is what any of you crazies reading my rant are wanting to see, a 2012 LR4 with a 5.0L supercharged engine running: (WARNING high pitched sound)

Not drivable still, but soon...will keep y'all posted

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Everyone is pulling for you! Stay vigilant it can work!

doc5339

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Evening Gents,

My engine finally got installed end of June. However, despite the complete module swap and the N/A engine running on them when I brought it in, with the SC swapped in there was nothing. Screens would come on, but no engine click or noise. It also had 28 fault codes. I got the shop a new starter and got a new battery and still nothing, even found out they didn't plug in the engine wiring harness all the way (red flag for later) which did eliminate the majority of the codes, but still nothing. So the assumption was an immobilization or some fault in the modules post-swap as it was a completely new and rebuilt engine. I had the feeling it could be that or because of my less than pleasant dealing with the shop I suspected it could also be as simple as something not plugged in. However, I had no way to pinpoint easily so with Land Rover being literally a block up the street I towed it there, explained what I had done so far to their both interest and disbelief, and they agreed to look at it. Fast forward two weeks of them being busy and not being able to diagnose it until today, I drove to the lot because I now have a Nanocom and knew the engine needed a full oil change now it was installed. The Rover tech that unbeknownst to me had looked at it today came and told me something beautiful: it starts and runs! Turns out the shop that did my install didn't ground the engine properly:argh:

Now I did find out after getting my Nanocom the CCF files are going to present a problem, the locks do not work, having a split tailgate does not work, and my 2nd and 3rd row rear AC/heat does not function. This is because the BCM is set for the Range Rover and never had those as an option. The only way around this is get the seed files from Land Rover directly (not the dealer) but they said Rover would never approve it for what I am doing OR the more plausible option is putting in the LR4 BCM and modules back in and figuring out getting the RRSC ECU to work.

My air suspension won't raise currently, the rebuilt SC snout and smaller performance pulley are a little wack with a constant horrifying screeching, there's a intercooler coolant leak, the auxiliary coolant pump is overly loud, there's little areas of smoke and a burning smell (told its because its a new engine), and it struggles to start BUT with the 5 minutes I had before my dealership closed I recorded this on the lot, here is what any of you crazies reading my rant are wanting to see, a 2012 LR4 with a 5.0L supercharged engine running: (WARNING high pitched sound)

Not drivable still, but soon...will keep y'all posted
OHHH HELL YEAH!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA