98 RR 4.0 Turns over but won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B

bigtimer24

Helo all,

I'm new here and seek your advise. I have a 98 RR 4.0L which I have had for a year. It has 130k miles. I turn the key, engine turns but doesn't start. checked fuel pressure and i'm getting around 34 psi. Looked at coil for external wear and nothing looks abnormal. Any ideas before I send it to the shop and go hungry trying to get it fixed....

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Give us some background maintenance history...

When where the plugs/wires/air filter/oil changed?

How old is the battery?

Last fuel filter change?

Any info will help...

B

bigtimer24

just changed fuel filter, plugs, battery 5 months old, and oil about 2 months ago/1500 miles. I noticed that the hose that connects from the valve cover to the throttle body...? pre-molded hose that shredded to pieces. I check with a fuel pressure gauge and it's getting gas. I can't seem to figure if it's spark or air...? Haven't replaced the air filter or plug wires yet. Inspected the air filter and it seems to be ok for the time being. I'm clueless... The motor turns as if it's going to start but just cranks until battery goes dead. Most recent maintenance history... replaced teh front diff and driver's side cv axle and brakes all around. Any ideas.....?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
that pre-molded hose shouldn't cause it not to run, but it will cause it to loose oil.

2 things I would try:

1 - spay some ether down the intake (engine side of MAF) if it tries to start it could still be fuel pump.

2 - If 1 doesn't work, I would look at wires and plugs (I hope you used cheap champions)

It could also be a coil pack issue - check for issues with coils.

as an after thought, lock and unlock drivers door 4 times with the key then try to start, could be a alarm ECU thing (unless you have an aftermarket alarm).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM