2011 RR coolant smell but no leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shawn Burke

Reaction score
This is driving me nuts. My wife's 2011 RR Autobiography Black S/C smells like coolant, but there are no visible leaks. This is predominantly on the driver's side that I can smell it. I have been poking around for quite some time looking and have found nothing. Finally after months of this, the low coolant message came on so it's really slow whatever it is.

So far I have tried:

Visual examination of everything. There are some light splatter marks on the driver's side of the engine compartment on hoses and such. Cleaned and reinspect.

Pressure test cap: OK

Pressure test system: Not sure if I am doing this right, but "borrowed" a kit from the local AutoZone, removed the cap on the reservoir, screwed on the correct adapter, connect and pump. System holds at around 7, but not at 15-17. I can watch the gauge go down. No leaks that I can see, no hissing of air, nothing. I can't get under the car fast enough to inspect in real time as it's losing pressure faster than I can get into position.

Water pump 10,000 miles ago by the dealer with OEM part, so I don't suspect that.

Not sure if the truck has a front coolant crossover pipe under the S/C and intake? I cannot find a definite answer on this. I have a 2010 workshop manual and no mention here either of a coolant crossover pipe under there? I'd hate to take it all apart just to find out it does not exist. Maybe someone here will know.

Checked bleeder, and no obvious leaks.

Checked every hose connection that I can see for signs of coolant loss.

I'm about ready to buy my wife a new car, but really don't want to as this one has 80,000 miles and is in great condition other than this. She also likes the rarity of the car so there's that too. Not sure I want to pay dealer a bunch of diagnosis hours.

SPOautos

Reaction score
Top it off with coolant and bleed it, you dont want it to run hot and cause a head gasket failure....that would cost more than the 2011 is worth.

Have you been looking for the leak with the truck running? It probably has to be running to drip. Your pressure gauge shouldnt lose pressure that fast unless you have a huge leak....make sure your using the correct cap and have it on real tight. If there is a overflow hose at the top of the tank you need to make sure the cap blocks it or if not, you need to clamp the hose off with a pair of vice grips. The overflow tube if often a leak point during pressure testing because it's open to atmosphere.

Use a strong flashlight, take belly pan off, and start from underneath, with the car running (be careful of the belt) try to put you eyes on every coolant connection you can to eliminate suspects. Look for coolant staining to try to narrow down the area of the leak.

If all else fails, any mechanic shop with good reviews should be able to fix it and if you request LR parts that shouldnt be a problem. Personally, I'd avoid the dealership if at all possible.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure you have a front (and rear) coolant crossover. I assume your engine is like that in the attached pic. I indicated the front crossover, which actual dives down under the supercharger where it enters the block. They usually fail along a seam or right at the entrance to the block. Mine started with coolant smell - no leak, passed the pressure test three times. I finally just took it apart and sure enough, it was toast. Look down into the valley as indicated in the pic.
A4E62C64-466F-4089-97EC-B654E83A5A90.jpeg

Cavvet2

Reaction score
Pretty sure you have a front (and rear) coolant crossover. I assume your engine is like that in the attached pic. I indicated the front crossover, which actual dives down under the supercharger where it enters the block. They usually fail along a seam or right at the entrance to the block. Mine started with coolant smell - no leak, passed the pressure test three times. I finally just took it apart and sure enough, it was toast. Look down into the valley as indicated in the pic. View attachment 12510
I recently had to have that plastic part replaced on my wife’s 2013 RRS Luxury with the NA 5.0. No puddles or drips with that either but it puddles under the intake. The seam split on it. I haven’t had that problem yet with my 2012 RRS SC.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see it as a ticking time bomb. So many people have had them leak that it’s got to be just a matter of time. Interestingly, some of the older V8’s had aluminum pipes. Hard to find, but I’ve seen pictures in the jag forums and I think I saw one on a Range Rover. Not sure why they got away from it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72