A Fork In The Road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnwalters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after 238,845 miles it was time to say goodbye to my 2010 LR4 HSE LUX. I have seriously enjoyed owning the vehicle. The combination of luxury, size and off-road capability can't be matched by anything in the market today. I used the vehicle to haul stone, dirt, cement, animals, groceries, lumber and family. I've made weekly runs from North Carolina to Georgia and back for close to a year. In moving to Georgia the vehicle served as a Noah's Ark as I transported three dogs, four cats and a parrot. That was an interesting trip! This was my daily driver including my approximate 100 mile round trip commute each day. The Rover got me to where I was going. Of course I did learn not to rely on the Distance To Empty information after I ran out of gas and it said I could go another 50 miles.

I've had my share of visiting both "stealership" service centers and independent garages with easy fixes and the one's that make you say "ouch!". The 5.0 engine has served me well but like all things mechanical, it reached a point where you have to consider the cost of the repair versus the value of the vehicle.

I like Michael Gain in his "Farewell" post have enjoyed being a member of the forum. I thank you for your shared ideas, questions, solutions and comments, and for allowing me to make some comments of my own. So for right now I'm switching over to an Q5 but will be back in a couple of years in another Rover.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nearly a quarter of a million miles is an accomplishment for any make. I’ve enjoyed your contributions and here’s wishing you all the best until we meet again.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
238,845 is a great run and it makes sense to stop "investing" in expensive repairs at that point. Loved your Noah's Ark story.

I've owned many Audis and they are awesome vehicles...good luck with your Q5.

When it's time for another Land Rover, the Defender is fantastic. To match the LR4's hauling capacity, wait until the 130 arrives.

Wishing you all the best!

johnnwalters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
238,845 is a great run and it makes sense to stop "investing" in expensive repairs at that point. Loved your Noah's Ark story.

I've owned many Audis and they are awesome vehicles...good luck with your Q5.

When it's time for another Land Rover, the Defender is fantastic. To match the LR4's hauling capacity, wait until the 130 arrives.

Wishing you all the best!

Thanks PaulLR3. The Defender 130 has piqued my interest so who knows. I guess that'll I'll be able to transport more animals then. lol!

johnnwalters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nearly a quarter of a million miles is an accomplishment for any make. I’ve enjoyed your contributions and here’s wishing you all the best until we meet again.

Thanks Chris! Of course whatever I drive won't keep me from going to Cantler's for steamed *****!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV