? about sputtering with my 2000 Discovery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdbrad

Reaction score
I've got a 2000 Discovery with 90,000 miles. The past few weeks it's been "sputtering". Usually, but not always, the sputtering occurs while at low speeds while accelerating and while traveling up an inclined road/highway.

I know pretty much nothing about automotive repairs, but don't want to sound totally ignorant when taking the car in for this repair.

Thanks for your opinions and advice.

Mike

Disco Squared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it's time for a tune-up. Plugs, wires, air filter, fuel injection cleaner, ect.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Could also be carbon build up on the exhaust valves.

Some seafoam in the fuel tank and the intake should help.

But either way more info on recent maintenance is a plus to help find any issues.

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful with the seafoam though, don't use the recommended amount use less. I am only saying this because the stuff works great and that can be a bad thing. I have just recently seen the stuff mess with 2 different vehicles one of which had high mileage and the carbon build up on the top of the head fell off and severely scratched the cylinder wall and the other caused the cat to heat up to the point that it melted. I agree that you should seafoam it, pull the plugs and clean then regap. Most plugs that get thrown away are still good, they just needed to be cleaned and regapped. Joe

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99