About to make the jump to LR4 from Toyota 4Runner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8 quarts of synthetic oil should last 15k. I change mine once a year before the cold season to get any moisture out. 35$ if you buy mobile 1 at Wally world.

willw

Reaction score
I made the switch from a Honda Ridgeline, another low maintenance truck, to the LR4 Lux. We are only two months into, but have already put it through its paces and so far, knock on wood, no issues at all. The only "issue" we have had is the tire sensor light, but we had the same issue in both of our Honda's when it was really cold.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BMW oil changes are every 15,000 miles as well. And I have been told oil changes with LR are around $160.00. Whoever paid $300.00 was overcharged. Those are GT3 costs. :)

tigerpete

Reaction score
First post! This is an interesting thread. I too have an 07 4runner and am very close to pulling the trigger on a new LR4. I have been reading and reading about the LR4. I too tried and tried to make the new 4runner work after 2 test drives....it just was poorly redesigned from a driving standpoint.

So I just can't decide on buying a 2011 LUX or HSE (NON-LUX)! Looks about like a $3k difference. Is it worth it? Are the leather seats that much better?

Also how important is it to buy from your local dealer (since you will need them)? I can get a better price elsewhere.

minazaki

Reaction score
Also how important is it to buy from your local dealer (since you will need them)? I can get a better price elsewhere.

This is a fantastic question. I'm in an almost identical situation.

Should I suck it up and buy local since I'm going to inevitably need my dealer's cooperation, even if it means spending about $1500 more? Or should I take the better deal elsewhere (200 miles away), and then hope for the best?

willw

Reaction score
I am not an option guru, but really like the adaptive light system, but could do without the extra cameras. I love the seats and would ditch the extra cameras if I could.

tigerpete

Reaction score
This is a fantastic question. I'm in an almost identical situation.

Should I suck it up and buy local since I'm going to inevitably need my dealer's cooperation, even if it means spending about $1500 more? Or should I take the better deal elsewhere (200 miles away), and then hope for the best?

I could save $1600 on a LUX by buying it elsewhere.

LR4ME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking to hear, and you have just nudged me one step closer to pulling the trigger. I am completely on the same page as you as far as the most recent 4Runner redesign - can't stand it. Looks/feels/drives nothing like my 2000, which I loved. As far as the LR4 goes, I have totally fallen for it, and am more than willing to deal with those minor annoyances that you mention.

Out of curiosity do you have a 2010 or 2011?

Thanks again!

Minazaki - I have the 2010, HSE. I agree that the LUX (and LUX Plus which I think was offered in 2010) were aimed more to go head to head with the options on a BMW or MB, and were not things I was looking for.
I got the oil changed at the dealership at 7500 miles, couldn't stand the thought of 15000 miles for a first change, and it cost about $130 (!!), which was a shock. The service dept is adamant that I don't need another until 22500, and say I would be wasting money.
I would spend the extra and buy at the local dealership, I am sure if you showed them the quote you got from 200 miles away, they would try and match it. But keeping the local service guys on your side is a no brainer. I suggest a plate of cookies or a case of beer (on a Friday, naturally), and they will work for you. A final thought on this. My 02 Tundra needed a new oxygen sensor recently. The cost to replace a single sensor was $380 (for an $80 part and maybe 40 minutes of labor!) I know LR dealership work is expensive, but they are hardly the only ones, however they do know my name, and they give a sh#t about my vehicle.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Minazaki - I have the 2010, HSE. I agree that the LUX (and LUX Plus which I think was offered in 2010) were aimed more to go head to head with the options on a BMW or MB, and were not things I was looking for.
I got the oil changed at the dealership at 7500 miles, couldn't stand the thought of 15000 miles for a first change, and it cost about $130 (!!), which was a shock. The service dept is adamant that I don't need another until 22500, and say I would be wasting money.
I would spend the extra and buy at the local dealership, I am sure if you showed them the quote you got from 200 miles away, they would try and match it. But keeping the local service guys on your side is a no brainer. I suggest a plate of cookies or a case of beer (on a Friday, naturally), and they will work for you. A final thought on this. My 02 Tundra needed a new oxygen sensor recently. The cost to replace a single sensor was $380 (for an $80 part and maybe 40 minutes of labor!) I know LR dealership work is expensive, but they are hardly the only ones, however they do know my name, and they give a sh#t about my vehicle.

Thanks for noting that LR isn't the only car maker with expensive services. For instance, new rotors and breaks for a 2005 BMW M3 (which I sold a few years ago) was around $3,500. And wheel alignment for that car was $500. So yeah, LR prices IMO are fair and more than reasonable.

LR4ME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@CountLaszlo - yeah, I think every car maker offers wildly overpriced service, and at least the LR guys seem to give a ****. Honestly, when I saw the bill from Toyota last week, for 1 oxygen sensor, I just about threw up. The tech who did the work is named "Rooster" and according to his rates - is a Manhattan Law Partner with an Ivy League JD and 9 years experience under his belt.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72