About to make the jump to LR4 from Toyota 4Runner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

minazaki

Reaction score
Just drove it home!

2011 LR4 HSE with Climate Comfort Package and Logic 7 upgrades. Santorini Black/Almond.

After I put some more miles on it, I'll report back here with anything else that may help others who might be on the fence (like I was). But for now, am I ever glad I decided to pull the trigger! What a sweet truck! Thanks again to everyone for all your input.

Last edited:

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just drove it home!

2011 LR4 HSE with Climate Comfort Package and Logic 7 upgrades. Santorini Black/Almond.

After I put some more miles on it, I'll report back here with anything else that may help others who might be on the fence (like I was). But for now, am I ever glad I decided to pull the trigger! What a sweet truck! Thanks again to everyone for all your input.

Congrats!!! Post some pics if you can. So happy you found the right LR4 for yourself.

NaraBronzeLR4

Reaction score
Grats! 11 months and 11k miles on my Nara Bronze LR4 Lux and no issues yet. The only "gremlin" I've seen so far is a bug which sometimes causes my whole Nav/Audio system to freeze up and stop playing audio. Resolves itself after leaving the car overnight or several hours....

Best vehicle I've had to date and have owned Bimmers, Jeeps, etc.!

Rockdawg26

Reaction score
Follow up

I've enjoyed reading this post. Like most of you I had previously owned a Toyota 4Runner and would buy another one in an instant but the new generation just doesn't do it for me. I have driven several different models trying to force myself to like it. Really the only thing I love about the new generation is they kept the rear sliding window and spoiler. While test driving, I punched it while merging on the freeway and was a most swallowed by a cement truck. I decided to walk away. Eventually, I decided to sell my trusty 04 4Runner 4.7 and buy a 2012 BMW X5 5.0 sport. Originally I had planned to buy a used LR3 as I had met a guy who is a car broker. He searched for a few weeks and finally found me a super clean low mileage LR3 HSE and let me demo it for the weekend. It was great until I was taking the family to dinner and while pulling out of my neighborhood, I laid out a smokescreen like a James Bond film. Needless to say I just said screw it, and bought the X5. Here I am a few yrs later and as much as I like the X5 looks and on road capabilities, I find myself ready to get something else. I really want a more sport capable vehicle. I like to Mtn bike and our family takes a lot of weekend trips.

I just want to hear how your decisions to leave Toyota or BMW and buy a Land Rover have fared. I know that any luxury import will be pricy to repair. I dot. Care about super soft leather or auto high beam. I just want a capable sport vehicle.

Thanks y'all

John

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I came from a Mercedes G500 previously. My experience with the LR4 has been great. It's been super reliable. The only things I've done are basic maintenance and replacement of components that wear out.

These trucks are designed for easy service for the basic items. So I do MOST of the basic service myself. So my running costs have been pretty low. Having numerous offroad trucks in the past, the LR4 is actually very capable offroad, especially with the HD package which includes center and rear lockers.

I'd have no hesitation recommending the truck or buying it again.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We moved to the LR4 (2014 model) about 16 months ago specifically because we do a lot of off-pavement excursions (not *********) here in Colorado. Sometimes that includes mountain biking (or rather what my wife calls "cross country" because again we are not *********). It has been awesome for that. I am approaching 40K miles and no issues other then self-inflicted. Does great off road. This summer we have been pulling a 6,000 lbs big, boxy travel trailer around the mountains of Colorado.

All that said, it will not perform on the road like your X5. For me this has been a good thing. I am much more patient with my driving now. I don't press the speed limit. I let others pass or merge in front of me. And I actually enjoy this! Much less stressful. With the trailer going up mountain passes I have to accept that it will be slower - but I have never been the slowest vehicle in the right lane. Don't get me wrong. Without the trailer it can easily exceed the speed limit up steep mountain passes. So on road performance isn't terrible. But its not a BMW.

Rockdawg26

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick feedback. I really appreciate the input. It's early in my search and I haven't had much luck finding the one I want yet. Going to keep looking but not in a huge hurry. I was hoping to hear from the original poster MINAZAKI to see how your experience is going. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72