Aftermarket hid/xenon headlights for LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey sparrky,

I know what you mean about the LED lights, as I noticed that when I switched out to the 5000K HID light kit. I have to wonder if the stock HIDs (in the Lux HSE or with HSE Vision Assist package) make the LEDs look yellowish. I am just curious and I guess I will know in a couple months when I get my new 2013 LR4 HSE Lux.

About a year ago (or so) there was a thread that discussed changing out the LED lights, but in the end, no one actually tried it because it would have been a huge undertaking and no one wanted to take the plunge. A few guys looked into it and found that they would need to actually disassemble the light housing and that meant heating it up to loosen the glue to access all of the LEDs. I did tinker with it a bit and found that it was way too much work (and possible damage) to change out the LEDS, so I forgot about it.

I have wonder how the dealership would change out an LED light if it burns out??? There has got to be a way!!! Maybe someone can look into it, as I think the LEDs could be a lot brighter/whiter (like we see on some other European cars).

-David

the factory HIDs match the LEDs perfectly. Nice bright white color. I agree, the LEDs could be much brighter like those of Audi's.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the factory HIDs match the LEDs perfectly. Nice bright white color. I agree, the LEDs could be much brighter like those of Audi's.
Thanks!

I was curious about that - good to know. Since that's the case, I'll leave my LEDs as are when I get the new 2013 HSE Lux.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HID 6000k fogs installed. There's more room back there than it first seems. I shoved the ballasts behind the fog light housing on both sides with no issues. The drivers side seemed better because it was more "wedged" in there, which I felt good about. On the passenger side, there's nothing to really wedge the ballast into, so I hope it doesn't bounce around and become loose. I'll keep everyone posted on that, but it doesn't seem like it will be an issue. I am much happier with the color and brightness of these compared to the Philips CV's. Installation took about 10-15 minutes on each side, and I am far from an expert. After doing the headlights, I must admit, it was a LOT easier.

Attachments

• photo-4 copy 2.jpg
    photo-4 copy 2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 75

jongyoo

Reaction score
Has anyone installed HID kits on all three lights?

And has anyone used 55W instead of the 35W for low beams? I'm not sure what to go, I'd like more power but don't want to burn the headlight case.

What kelvin rating best fits the LED eyeliner lights already on the headlights?

Just wanted to confirm the bulb type for the different lights:
Low beams (H11)
Fog lights (H11)
High beams (H7)

Please help, my LR4 is coming next week! Thanks!

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't answer your question but in the same vain, I was researching a HID conversion for my 4000's and cam across this site that sells projectors as well. Seems this would totally change the HID retrofit and make it more "stock".

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/trs_tech.php

I'm ordering one of their H1 kits so I can report on that aspect.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone installed HID kits on all three lights?

And has anyone used 55W instead of the 35W for low beams? I'm not sure what to go, I'd like more power but don't want to burn the headlight case.

What kelvin rating best fits the LED eyeliner lights already on the headlights?

Just wanted to confirm the bulb type for the different lights:
Low beams (H11)
Fog lights (H11)
High beams (H7)

Please help, my LR4 is coming next week! Thanks!

Bulb sizes are correct. I did the low beams and fog lights... no real need for high beams where I live right now, and also, the 35w lows and fogs are plenty bright. Can't imagine doing 55w to be honest. I have had a handful of people flash their brights at me with just my lows and fogs on (but this could also be because of the angle of my lights with the Johnson Rod lift). Good luck!

avraja

Reaction score
I just purchased a used 2010 LR4 HSE, Can you guys let me know if the round strips around the halogen lights are LED's ? I see the accent strips but I dont see any light coming out in all the 4 lamp positions ? does this mean I dont have the LED's on the strip ?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a used 2010 LR4 HSE, Can you guys let me know if the round strips around the halogen lights are LED's ? I see the accent strips but I dont see any light coming out in all the 4 lamp positions ? does this mean I dont have the LED's on the strip ?
That's correct - you do not have the LED lights, even though it looks like they are in the headlight unit. In 2010, only the HSE Lux model had the signature LED rings. It went to all models in 2011. This has disappointed a lot of people who didn't realize this fact. You do, however, have the side marker bulb and some folks with 2010 HSE models replace that with an LED wedge and it looks great. Look back at this thread for more information and photos.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the 35w and outside temp is nice at 65. it looks like a power issue where the ballast is not getting enough power but i don't know what's causing it?

Sounds like you need the harness.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM