Aftermarket hid/xenon headlights for LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sparrky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a few quick questions on actual installation:
-Has any done this on a 2013, are they any different then prior year headlamp housings?

-In removing the headlamp housing, there is a large electrical connector that plugs into the housing, what I assume carries the wiring for the low, high and LEDs. Is this just a 2013 wiring configuration, or was that on prior years?

-Do you plug the wiring harness for the HID ballast into that, or is it done with the wiring that is inside of the housing that plugs directly into the H11 bulb? If so, do you need to run the wireing out, for the ballast, then back into the housing?

As you can see, I'm eletrically/scematically illiterate. Any help or pics would be greatly appreciated.

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:bandit:
Just a few quick questions on actual installation:
-Has any done this on a 2013, are they any different then prior year headlamp housings?

-In removing the headlamp housing, there is a large electrical connector that plugs into the housing, what I assume carries the wiring for the low, high and LEDs. Is this just a 2013 wiring configuration, or was that on prior years?

-Do you plug the wiring harness for the HID ballast into that, or is it done with the wiring that is inside of the housing that plugs directly into the H11 bulb? If so, do you need to run the wireing out, for the ballast, then back into the housing?

As you can see, I'm eletrically/scematically illiterate. Any help or pics would be greatly appreciated.

The big plug is for the entire housing. For hid install, you need to Access the wires inside the housing that connects to the existing bulb.

sparrky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay. I did it. Took about 45 minutes. Longest part was reaming out the dust cap, I didn't have a special drill bit, so I had to use a 3/4 inch bit to make the hole. Used double sided tape to mount the ballast.

Got 6000ks, during the day they look a little too blue, I plan to try them for a few days and see how they look in different conditions. Also got a set of 5000ks to try.

Thanks all for your comments, details and answers to my questions! Much appreciated!

Last edited:

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both 6000k and 5000k ddm kits. The 6000k are definitely whiter than 5000k. The latter is too yellow I think.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 6000K and they look great, though a tiny bit blue during the day.

ycharlie, do you have the 5000K as fog lights?

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 6000K and they look great, though a tiny bit blue during the day.

ycharlie, do you have the 5000K as fog lights?

i had the 3000k and the 6000k as the fogs. the 3000k ddms are a bit orangey, so during the winter i apply a 3M yellow film to get the real yellow effect. for weather without snow i put in the 6000k without the film so the combined output with the low beams are all white.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had the 3000k and the 6000k as the fogs. the 3000k ddms are a bit orangey, so during the winter i apply a 3M yellow film to get the real yellow effect. for weather without snow i put in the 6000k without the film so the combined output with the low beams are all white.
Awesome! Thank you for the information. Since we do not get snow here in N. CA, I will likely just go with the 5000K or 6000K. I may opt for the 5000K because I would like the fogs to have a slightly more yellowish look, but It might be nice to match them with them with my stock HIDs (that I will have in my 2013 LR4 on order).

Regards, David

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Thank you for the information. Since we do not get snow here in N. CA, I will likely just go with the 5000K or 6000K. I may opt for the 5000K because I would like the fogs to have a slightly more yellowish look, but It might be nice to match them with them with my stock HIDs (that I will have in my 2013 LR4 on order).

Regards, David

yea give that a try. i keep spare bulbs around because they are pretty cheap anyway. always good to have spared and alternate colors to play with.

sparrky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I swapped out the 6000ks for 5000ks. Side by side the 5000ks actually look a bit blue, while the 6000k looks more green.

Now my LED signature lights look yellow with the HID kit. Anyone know if the LEDs can be changed out for bluish LEDs?

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I swapped out the 6000ks for 5000ks. Side by side the 5000ks actually look a bit blue, while the 6000k looks more green.

Now my LED signature lights look yellow with the HID kit. Anyone know if the LEDs can be changed out for bluish LEDs?
Hey sparrky,

I know what you mean about the LED lights, as I noticed that when I switched out to the 5000K HID light kit. I have to wonder if the stock HIDs (in the Lux HSE or with HSE Vision Assist package) make the LEDs look yellowish. I am just curious and I guess I will know in a couple months when I get my new 2013 LR4 HSE Lux.

About a year ago (or so) there was a thread that discussed changing out the LED lights, but in the end, no one actually tried it because it would have been a huge undertaking and no one wanted to take the plunge. A few guys looked into it and found that they would need to actually disassemble the light housing and that meant heating it up to loosen the glue to access all of the LEDs. I did tinker with it a bit and found that it was way too much work (and possible damage) to change out the LEDS, so I forgot about it.

I have wonder how the dealership would change out an LED light if it burns out??? There has got to be a way!!! Maybe someone can look into it, as I think the LEDs could be a lot brighter/whiter (like we see on some other European cars).

-David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM