Air Conditioner Delay when vehicle started- Defrost Program Button Flashes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

voltaire1102

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question that I haven't found in any previous forums.

Sometimes when I start the LR3 the Program Button on the air con that has the Defrost image (top button on far right) flashes for a few seconds before the air con comes on. This is typically when I have left the air con on when I cut the engine off and later crank it. Cranking the LR3 the air should start right away, but I have watched it blink up to 30 seconds before it cuts on. Most of the time the blinking only last 5 to 7 seconds before the airflow starts. Is this natural? I couldn't locate anything in the owners manual but my guess is the LR3 is running diagnostics prior to turning the air on.

Any ideas ? I would love to turn the delay off. In Mississippi every second counts in a black vehicle with black leather... I need the air ASAP.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
credit to disco.co.uk those chaps have had every conceivable problem, and then some. Sounds like you have a fault.

Distribution motor self-test

The motor and flap operation can be checked using the on-board distribution motor self-test function.

The self-test can be initiated by pressing and holding the ECON and RECIRC buttons while turning the ignition switch to the ON position.

The control module will then compare the current motor position with the values stored in the module and will indicate an error by flashing the ECON LED (light emitting diode).

If there are no errors, the LED will go out and the system will function normally.

To confirm that there are no errors, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, then back to the ON position.

Observe the operation of the programmed defrost LED.

If there are errors present, the programmed defrost LED will flash and the system will attempt to calibrate itself.

For additional information on the function of the system, refer to the relevant section of the workshop manual.

reference: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic42445.html?highlight=+defrost++flashes

voltaire1102

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update. After 8 hours in the LR service department on Friday they attempted to give me several reasons. In the end, they said the climate control unit performs a system check when you crank the LR3 and if it finds a fault code the system will attempt to recalibrate. During the calibration they said the valve that releases the vent for the defrost was not properly responding. Suggested fix was a new heater matrix which would be 12 hours of labor due to a complete dash removal and a cost of $2,900. My response was, my way, I'll deal with the delaly during startup.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can still learn something new after 6 years. Thanks for the info!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72