Alternatives to GAP tool?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered the GAP tool for my '12 LR4, they took my money and won't ship it now. So now I'm looking for alternatives. I need to read problem codes, reset codes, read PIDS for data logging and make corrections for tire changes so the speedo is correct. What are the alternatives to the GAP tool that can handle most or all of those features?

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Unfortunately, GAP IID Tool is the only way to go. Where did you buy the GAP tool?

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had great experiences with Patrick from GAP. What do you mean they won’t ship it?

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto what f1racer said about service/coop from GAP...Even though I bought my GAP IID Tool from Lucky 8 Off Road.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered it from the gap-diagnostic website. Patrick wouldn't ship it because he insists live in a hotel. The whole situation seems pretty freaking odd tbh. I've been shipping stuff here to my apartment for 7 months and received tens of thousands of dollars in gear from websites all over, nobody has had an issue except him. I've also shipped freight here. I provided proof my apartment isn't a "hotel" by providing my apartment website, but he won't sell it to me and said he is refunding my money.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered it from the gap-diagnostic website. Patrick wouldn't ship it because he insists live in a hotel. The whole situation seems pretty freaking odd tbh. I've been shipping stuff here to my apartment for 7 months and received tens of thousands of dollars in gear from websites all over, nobody has had an issue except him. I've also shipped freight here. I provided proof my apartment isn't a "hotel" by providing my apartment website, but he won't sell it to me and said he is refunding my money.
It sounds like he’s just trying to cover his ass.

I’m not sure if he uses Shopify or another e-commerce platform, but a lot of them have protections against stuff that might result in them getting scammed.

Order it from Lucky 8. They go on sale during Black Friday and occasionally other times. That’s where I got mine.

iSheeZ

Reaction score
GAP not only one. You can use JLR Mongoose Pro cable with SDD software (it's official dealer software) or if you need only read some error codes or check values like coolant temp or oil you can use ELM372 and (for example, CarScanner app for your phone). I have both and for me it's works fine.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GAP not only one. You can use JLR Mongoose Pro cable with SDD software (it's official dealer software) or if you need only read some error codes or check values like coolant temp or oil you can use ELM372 and (for example, CarScanner app for your phone). I have both and for me it's works fine.
Looks good and interestingly it works for Jags too. What was your experience like with it assuming you tried it on your '13? I'm still waitiung for my '12 to ship.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
My only issue with the JLR Mongoose with SDD software is finding a dedicated Windows XP or Windows 7 OS, the last time I checked back in 2016. I wonder if they developed/support the latest Microsoft OS versions.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be running Win7 in a virtual machine on Linux. The serial port can be passed through to the VM.

I just got a load date of tomorrow for my LR4. Hopefully I get it by this weekend. I'm taking it way out in BFE into the desert without a PPI lol. Risky, but I'll look it over and I'm not waiting any longer than I have to. If it doesn't sound like it is going to explode and it has cold air conditioning that is all the assurance I need :D.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72