Alternator Belt Problem/Alternator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lsawicki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i went to a friends house 30 miles away. My 93 RR LWB did just fine on the highway. When it was time to go home...I noticed that the tach gave out and the ignition light came on. I was worried I would stall on the way home, but thankfully I made it. Today, I almost stalled on the highway and barely made it back...I popped open the hood and lo and behold, the alternator belt was missing. So after a trip to the local auto shop, I got the alternator belt and followed the instructions in the owner's manual on how to replace it. The battery pretty was flat so I got a jump, and no luck. After a few minutes of fiddling with the ignition, it cranked and the engine was on...HOWEVER...there was smoke coming up in front of the alternator, so i cut the engine. The smoked didn't seem to coming through the alternator, but rather from the pulley. What could be the problem? I sprayed some WD40 on the pulley to loosen it up if it seized, but now I am worried something worse might happen if I jumped it and started the engine again. The alternator was replaced not too long ago!

Any help? I don't have a backup vehicle and tomorrow is monday....

D

davebl

Sounds like you might have a pulley that is seized. Does the belt run another pulley in addition to the alternator?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad pulley, I x2 davebl thoughts on that.... shouldn't be hard to find, remove the belt and attempt to turn any pulley the belt touches. I am sure you will find the issue quickly.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9