Another Crossover / cooling system job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elej

Reaction score
Rent fan clutch tool from autozone. I recommend getting a hose clamp plier kit, the long reach pliers were a life saver. The rest make life easier. I replaced the intake manifold gasket (I know some do not) I have the SCV6, the PCV is definitely easier to access with the SC/intercooler removed, not sure on the V8 (but I had already replaced mine previously). I left the throttle body attached and just disconnected the coolant hose that runs underneath from the rear crossover (long reach hose pliers here), so did not use TB gasket. I also lightly cleaned the intake valves while everything was opened up.
Good luck! This was definitely a fiddly, PITA job.

P.S. thanks to those that posted on this topic before, definitely good guidance on here.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for putting all of this in one place!
I bought our current LR4 during the pandemic and it was shipped to the house. The dealer said this had been dealt with but provided no documents and I'm not inclined to believe him. Is there a way to tell by looking if this has been done?

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the newly designed front crossover (SCV6 only, pipe redesigned mid-2019 I believe), it looks very different from the old one. The old one was manufactured as two halves that are welded together and had a very obvious seam with a lip running the length of the pipe. The new one looks more like an injection molded piece. That aside, I don’t think you’d be able to tell. The rear pipe was not redesigned, so can’t tell if that’s been replaced.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for putting all of this in one place!
I bought our current LR4 during the pandemic and it was shipped to the house. The dealer said this had been dealt with but provided no documents and I'm not inclined to believe him. Is there a way to tell by looking if this has been done?
Very easy to tell, remove vanity cover, as JLGLR4 stated, look at the pipe, if it has seam, and looks like it was two pieces glued together, it's the old design, If is one solid "tube" with no visible seam then it's the new design.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very easy to tell, remove vanity cover, as JLGLR4 stated, look at the pipe, if it has seam, and looks like it was two pieces glued together, it's the old design, If is one solid "tube" with no visible seam then it's the new design.
Thanks, all!

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, all parts arrived in perfect condition from LR Paramus. No mistakes and all brand-new LR OEM. It took them a week to ship them out, but besides that, they were good. I hope to start the job next weekend.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, just because I know everyone is on the edge of their seat, I've been too busy to get to it and now it's pretty cold, so to avoid having the SUV down for an extended period of time in the winter, I'll wait until Spring to do this job.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
I just finished this on my 2013 and posted a video.
Might be helpful...

You do NOT need to remove the fan and the viscous coupling for a 2013 - I discuss and demonstrate in the video.
(Well, at least on MY 2013 - sometimes it seems like every vehicle is a unique build and different from every other!)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA