Another Defender hint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's one with some factory front end bar-thingy (the article calls it a "bull bar," but I wouldn't go that far) and a winch:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...efender-and-range-rover-velar-hybrids-spotted

defenderhybrid.j01_1.jpg

jmars

Reaction score
Do I spy a winch in there too? Maybe this was addressed already.

Awesome looking Discovery, glad they just updated it....lol

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's an LR4!

I actually wonder if it might be an LR4 body (with some foam on the roof, hood, and sides) on whatever the new chassis is.... then they can have a total reveal without anything leaking...

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a new wheel design I have not seen and it does not match the spare on the back (which is the wheel design we have been seeing). I presume the brush guard gives final confirmation on the front-end design (that it is not some disguised styling). Not sure what happened to the passenger door at the bottom either - maybe there were offroad and testing out the winch! And it is a hybrid electric, so there is proof of what is to come!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually wonder if it might be an LR4 body (with some foam on the roof, hood, and sides) on whatever the new chassis is.... then they can have a total reveal without anything leaking...

I've wondered if they haven't made these latest test mules look a lot like an LR4 the same way that they made the first one look a lot like a RRS, but the Tusk image and the Prince Harry photoshoot seem to reveal a lot of the true lines, which more or less jive with these latest mules.

But who knows. I wish they'd just reveal the damn things already, Chinese knockoffs be damned.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That would be great. They could certainly put in the foam pieces to make the belt line/hood' height appear higher than it really. But, I fear that McGovern' current fascination with the higher belt lines maybe true in this model as well because the wiper blades seem to be placed inline with the currently showing belt line, unless, the placement of the wiper blades is also fake, which is unlikely as you can see in the pix that the wiper blades were being used/were operable.

LR, with its current mindset and design philosophy, does not have the necessary and much needed you know what to not have to worry about what the pundits would have to say if the new discovery looks anything like an LR3/4.

It would be a really brave and ballsy move on LR' part to re-design LR4 in the form of the new Discovery. But they are too worried about the car critics vs educating the potential buyer about their unique product(s) via interesting and educational marketing campaigns.

They don't seem to be interested in creating better and interesting products anymore, rather. its all about following the temporary fads/trends for easy money, vs originating and setting the trends themselves for the rest of the market, as they once did with LR3/4.

Last edited:

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That may be a touch harsh - while I have not cared for the outward aesthetics of everything new starting with the Evoque, LR has advanced the Terrain system with an auto sytem, created the All-Terrain Progress Control system, invented the Invisible Bonnet System (whatever it is actually called these days), added flush door handles (love it or hate it), came up with a nice interior non-leather fabric option, has a patent out on a central tire inflation system, etc. They are working on nifty stuff, they are just having trouble creating "the whole package".

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut