Another Defender hint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaliDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't help it, I think it would have been hilarious if at the end: The 110 rolls over, crosses the stream and drives up a bank to arrive at a soccer field, where the mom and kids get out for their next game :) Just me?

Whole Foods parking lot could work also

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I reading these specs correctly? A 110 has a cargo area about 7" shorter lengthwise and about 6" less in height in the cargo area versus an LR4? This may not be the wonder I was hoping it was for sleeping inside and hauling bikes without having to drop the seat...

(edited for clarity)

https://www.landroverusa.com/vehicles/defender/specifications.html
CARGO CAPACITY - BEHIND 1ST-ROW SEATS
Height (in) 35.6 (34.3 Lift Height)
Width (in) 47.7 (5 seats) / 46.8 (5+2 seats)
Volume (cu. ft) 78.8 (5 seats) / 69.0 (5+2 seats)
Width between arches (in) 45.7
Length at floor (in) 69.4 (5 seats) / 70.4 (5+2 seats)
HEADROOM
Front (in) 40.6
Rear (in) 40.4

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the LR4 cargo space is your benchmark, the D110 will definitely underwhelm you. There is way less room back there - sleeping inside is probably out of the question if you are anywhere near 6' or taller, like me (maybe sideways if you are by yourself... ) The Defender 130 - if and when it comes - may be more comparable to the LR4 as far as cargo volume.

Last edited:

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I reading these specs correctly? A 110 is about 7" shorter lengthwise and about 6" less in height in the cargo area versus an LR4? This may not be the wonder I was hoping it was for sleeping inside and hauling bikes without having to drop the seat...

Does the length measurement include the spare tire/wheel?

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@namenda -- Those specs are just of the cargo area of the Defender 110 on Land Rover's site.. The actual vehicle, as umbertob pointed out, is actually longer...

CaliDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the LR4 cargo space is your benchmark, the D110 will definitely underwhelm you. There is way less room back there - sleeping inside is probably out of the question if you are anywhere near 6' or taller, like me (maybe sideways if you are by yourself... ) The Defender 130 - if and when it comes - may be more comparable to the LR4 as far as cargo volume.

Agreed!
It was one of the first things I noticed and as disappointed with. When I sat in it and spent some time it’s quickly apparent the LR4 has far better packaging.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same problem with the discovery 5 (at least cargo area height). I'm not seeing the D5 and Defender being all that different in terms of use case...although obviously the Defender gets the nod for styling..

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Styling aside (that was a biggie for me, though) the Defender should be a better off-roader than the D5, or any other current LR vehicle really - including my beloved LR4, best car I've ever owned - and it should be considering its name and heritage. Allegedly reinforced and stronger platform, better clearances / approach / departure / breakover angles, marginally bigger fuel tank and hopefully better mileage with the mild hybrid 6-cyl engine, room for larger tires, quicker on pavement, in-cabin tech that may have finally caught up with the competition, an easily accessible spare wheel, certainly more support from the aftermarket in the near future. I also really liked the more "spartan" and airy interior when I saw the car in person: it looks functional, and probably easier to clean from dust and dirt than its cuter LR relatives.

I can live with the smaller cargo space as I rarely carry any passengers in my off-road adventures, I don't need 7 seats anymore, and have slept inside my LR4 a grand total of... one time in 7+ years of ownership - because it was just too friggin' cold to pitch my tent, lol. I'll bend my knees a little if it's freezing again. It's a leap of faith for sure for a vehicle that is 100% unproven in the real world, but I am an optimist, I am looking forward to see where I can take it and hoping Land Rover did their homework and won't let me down. They haven't for the past 15 years... My first LR was an early production, 2006 RRS (second best car I've ever owned but widely derided by the entire Land Rover community at the time as an impostor "poorman's Range Rover" and "an LR3 in drags"), so I am not that much of a ******** purist I guess. I am not offended they decided to call this one Defender, although I suspect this Defender (especially when they launch the 130) may mortally wound the current Discovery - which is not selling like cupcakes anyway - and become the true successor of our LR4.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick