Another Defender hint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great pic of that C pillar. Weird how the top oval bit comes so far back to just grab that interior plastic piece...

Without that little loop (how structural could it be) the cargo area window could be significantly larger..

2_land_rover_defender_2020_mid_production.jpg

Last edited:

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umberto, how concerned are you with build issues in the upcoming Defender? There's a D5 forum (on a different LR site) where owners list multiple issues with their D5s, some as recent as MY19 models. The Defender and D5 are assembled in the same Slovakia plant.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, if I were concerned about Land Rovers' build quality I would not have become an owner 15 years ago and would still be driving a 4Runner... I have been blessed with trouble free"'new" LR vehicles this far (an 06 RRS and my current LR4) that were supposedly gonna be big trouble. Hope my streak continues... Depending on which forum you happen to be on, the new Slovakia plant is either a disaster or a massive improvement over Solihull. We'll see in a few years, I guess.

Also, I am not too finicky, if an ashtray squeaks a little I don't call Consumer Affairs and report it as a manufacturing defect, and instead I try to fix it myself. I get the feeling some LR owners have unreasonable expectations sometimes, because these cars are so expensive, but there is no denying build quality and reliability have never been Land Rover's claim to fame. However, they are fun to drive, beautifully appointed, comfortable, and very capable. That's my attraction to them, anyway, hope I didn't jinx myself.

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but a leaking windshield causing electrical damage on a MY19 D5? LR has been aware of this issue since the D5 came out on 2017.

Mind you, I'm getting a Defender 110X to replace my LR4, but will wait until early next year to place an order.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that product issues always appear worse on forums than they really are. Those with no issues rarely post a comment. The same phenomenon is happening with the coronavirus.

For me the new Defender powertrain alternatives are too limited and expensive so I will wait and hope they fix that issue.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get the feeling some LR owners have unreasonable expectations sometimes, because these cars are so expensive, but there is no denying build quality and reliability have never been Land Rover's claim to fame. However, they are fun to drive, beautifully appointed, comfortable, and very capable. That's my attraction to them, anyway, hope I didn't jinx myself.

^Exactly how I feel and you said it perfectly Umberto. I plan to order a Defender right after the first test drive.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^Exactly how I feel and you said it perfectly Umberto. I plan to order a Defender right after the first test drive.

@PaulLR3 I'll say the same as I did to @umbertob - I hope you'll start a new thread in the Def2020 forum (wait is there one?) and link to it here so we can follow along with your impressions as new owners.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA