Another Defender hint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oddly enough, I think there's a similar problem fitting compomotives to early years of the D5.
The rear rotor is smaller (363 mm 4 piston front, 350 mm single piston rear), so the clearance issue must be a chunky rear caliper. Haven't seen it in the flesh, though.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, yes, yes we all agree. Take your "Defendre" discussions to the Defender forum where you'll really get your @$& chewed out by actual Defender owners.

The reason people are crapping on it is b/c it is, well, crappy. Sorry. If new "Defendre" owners don't want to hear it, then don't tell anyone on the LR4 forum you bought one. Pretty simple. At least don't tell anyone you paid over $50k for it and for god's sake, if you don't want to get laughed off the planet, don't tell them you paid over $80k for it.

To your last point of it seeming weird that there's no sub forum, I think it's pretty clear the reason why. Nobody over there considers this to be a real Defender. It would be like calling the D5 and LR4. So, there in lies the problem.
We get it. You hate the new Defender. Jeezus. Let it go, mate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We get it. You hate the new Defender. Jeezus. Let it go, mate.

It's worse than that. I had hoped the new Defendre would be a replacement for our LR4 when our warranty expires in May of 2023. So, not only do I hate it, but I am p!$$3d that JLR pulled another Discovery5 trick on LR4 owners. That leaves only two categories of people owning the new Defendre: posers and those who will "make it work...".

Objectively, I think, most LR4 and Defender folks would say that there is more not to like than there is to like about the new Defendre. If that is true, it would be considered a complete fail.

Best thing to do is go over to the Defender forum and ask for your own space. Seems to me that this would be a good solution.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's worse than that. I had hoped the new Defendre would be a replacement for our LR4 when our warranty expires in May of 2023. So, not only do I hate it, but I am p!$$3d that JLR pulled another Discovery5 trick on LR4 owners. That leaves only two categories of people owning the new Defendre: posers and those who will "make it work...".

Objectively, I think, most LR4 and Defender folks would say that there is more not to like than there is to like about the new Defendre. If that is true, it would be considered a complete fail.

Best thing to do is go over to the Defender forum and ask for your own space. Seems to me that this would be a good solution.

Or you could just ignore this thread. I own an LR4 and am interested in the opinion of other LR4 owners in this forum (who have contributed significantly over the years in sharing their knowledge and wisdom) on their thoughts on when and why they may switch. Clearly you're not so feel free to drop out of the thread.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys would have really lost your **** if you were into P-cars back when they released the Cayenne. People were ready to slash throats and burn buildings.

Is it the Defender i hoped for; no. Is it about what I expected from JLR; yes.

I don't begrudge anyone who gets one, and I wish them well with it. I will also be interested to see how it fares once it gets out into some real use with significant mileage.

If it doesn't meet your needs in a vehicle, well, that's the beauty of competition.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't hate it for what it is I guess, but I hate it for what it could have been. If any other car maker made it, I'd probably really really like it. But since it has the name Defender slapped on it, well now it gets held to a higher standard. They reeeeeeaaaaaallllly should have had a squarer front end, and a higher greenhouse, and I have no idea how they screwed up the alpine roof that looks to be 6 inches deep where the windows are?? And how they STILL do not know that some of us want 17" rims is beyond me. Heck, they could have put smaller calipers on and charged MORE for all I care.

If they ever figure out how to take the top off, I might even see getting one some day. It's just that the Ford did such a much better job making the Defender than Land Rover did. I don't care that it won't 'check all the boxes' the LR4 did, because I'm not ready to replace the LR4 yet. I just want to pick up something fun to use and help keep the miles off it.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't hate it for what it is I guess, but I hate it for what it could have been. If any other car maker made it, I'd probably really really like it. But since it has the name Defender slapped on it, well now it gets held to a higher standard. They reeeeeeaaaaaallllly should have had a squarer front end, and a higher greenhouse, and I have no idea how they screwed up the alpine roof that looks to be 6 inches deep where the windows are?? And how they STILL do not know that some of us want 17" rims is beyond me. Heck, they could have put smaller calipers on and charged MORE for all I care.

If they ever figure out how to take the top off, I might even see getting one some day. It's just that the Ford did such a much better job making the Defender than Land Rover did. I don't care that it won't 'check all the boxes' the LR4 did, because I'm not ready to replace the LR4 yet. I just want to pick up something fun to use and help keep the miles off it.

can't take the top off on a unibody and expect it to do anything other than pavement and light duty offroad IMO. So, don't hold your breath on that one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM