Another potential owner with questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zznalg

Reaction score
I may be looking at a 2012 LR4 purchase shortly and am seeking people's opinions on a few matters. While I probably will be using the vehicle for off/rough road duty at times, one of its intended uses is for long distance highway travel. I live in the western USA where interstate speeds can often average 80-85 mph. My primary question is whether the LR4 is relatively stable at such speeds. My current utility vehicle is a Wrangler Unlimited Sport which cannot safely be driven above 80 MPH in my opinion. Moreover, it is fairly susceptible to crosswinds at speed. I drove the Jeep 600 miles this week in such conditions and it was harrowing at times.

Since my potential purchase may be happening somewhat quickly, I don't have time to search the archives and I apologize for that. Does the height adjustable suspension automatically set to the lowest level at highway speeds? If not, after manually lowering the height fully, does this mitigate the influence of crosswinds and maximize highway stability? I'm very interested in peoples experiences. Thanks very much and I hope to be joining this community.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It weighs better than 3 ton. Its a big box, so it will move around a little in the wind, but no worse off than anything else. It is pretty quite inside and should be pretty stable. Suspension is a bit more sophisticated than a jeep.

The air suspension stays in normal height at speed. At a lowered height it would just ride rougher. I have read that the air suspension on some land rover change a little but only at high speeds over 100mph or something. Not something to even concern yourself about.

sparrky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen any circumstances where I have been "afraid" driving it at highway speeds or more (don't tell LE about this).

I recently took a 300+ mle road trip almost all highway and driving 85-90mph most of the way on open highways and I didn't expereince any issues with wind pushing it or drift. It felt secure and commanding.

Also, the height is only adjustable under 11mph to lower it to "access" height or "off road" height. It automatically brings you to "normal " driving height when you exceed this speed.

zznalg

Reaction score
Thanks for the posts. I'm encouraged. Please keep them coming.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not a fast driver, but have been at 80-90mph in winds and NEVER felt unstable even once - you barely know you are going that fast. It's not a sports car at all, but it's pretty darn amazing for a huge SUV.

GBRover

Reaction score
Absolutely Wonderful!

Have over 40,000 miles on my 2011 LR4. Best and most reliable car I have ever owned! Have done a great deal of highway driving in the 75 -85 mph range and the car has always been stable and smooth. Off -road it is a champ.

You will love it.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took a 1,300 mile road trip last summer (San Diego/Vegas/Lake Tahoe/San Diego). Car had less than 3k miles or so at the start. Cruised at 80+regularly, no problem with wind. Car was flawless (except for mpg, but truth be told, if you are on the highway, its not that bad...16-19mpg). As posted before, unlike say the grand cherokee, height does not adjust at highway speeds. Car is very stable. A/C is first rate...very comfortable. Very happy with my choice. Outstanding family car...it goes on and on.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR4 cannot be lowered to access height at speeds above 25 mph. They are very stable at highway speeds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo