Any reason why Diesel engines are not available here...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

will0711

Reaction score
Recently, I checked out UK Land Rover website.
All models have diesel engines. Range Rover even gets 8 Cylinder supercharged diesel that get 24 mpg. I do understand that US emission standard is pretty tough, but wish we could have the same option that Brits have.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Search for diesel and you may find previous threads. You'll need to be patient... 50 state clean diesel has barely launched.

JohnKel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like grommet said it's a matter of getting 50 state compliance. CA and NY are the biggest problem for companies such as Land Rover whose largest percentage of sales come from these states. With the increased availability of low sulfur fuel it will be easier to comply, and testing is underway. Rumor is that we will have a compliant engine by MY 09 or 10 . Keep the faith, it will happen someday.

John

will0711

Reaction score
Like grommet said it's a matter of getting 50 state compliance. CA and NY are the biggest problem for companies such as Land Rover whose largest percentage of sales come from these states. With the increased availability of low sulfur fuel it will be easier to comply, and testing is underway. Rumor is that we will have a compliant engine by MY 09 or 10 . Keep the faith, it will happen someday.

John

Hope that happens real soon.

DefenderFanCA

Reaction score
I'm hoping that getting the diesel in here will remove one more obstacle to getting the new Defender to be imported to the U.S.

I'm sure the real stumbling block is that the U.S. market is not ready for such a vehicle instead of a multi-purpose family hauler, but hey, there must be a handful of lunatics like myself that would buy one in a second.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, the real stumbling block for the Defender is that it is not air bag compliant. Occupants can't pass the frontal impact collision test.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
9ineballer