Anyone had problems with Oil Pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Top Engine

Reaction score
I have no oil pressure on a 2012 LR4. Noticed there is no oil circulation through the oil filter cartridge while briefly running the engine. Is there a history of oil pump failures on these 5.0 engines?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't ever seen any reports of oil pump issues on the 5.0.

Red Top Engine

Reaction score
Well, my pump was most certainly shot. It literally cracked into two. Since these cars are not equipped with an oil pressure sensor, I ran it blindly with no oil. Fortunately it cost me a head and not an entire engine. But the amount of time I have spent screwing this engine is ridiculous. No pun intended.
IMG_7087.jpg
IMG_7092.jpg
IMG_7138.jpg
IMG_7086.jpg

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy crap bottom end work and head work. What is that costing? Oh and you may have more luck fixing the engine rather than screwing it.

Red Top Engine

Reaction score
It cost me a few bruised hands. One of these days I'll post the time lapse vid on YouTube. It's a very time consuming job and many things can go wrong along the way. In the case of this oil pump, the culprit to it's failure was the oil pump sprocket screw got lose, extending and pressing against the engine wall until the rear of the pump cracked. Normally, these pumps should not fail at all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112