Anyone have Tactical Rover Sliders?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds fun Jeremy....I've only really hit the TSF (Brown's Camp) in Oregon. A little bit of the OBDR too near Crescent Lake.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sending them off for some new powder coating tomorrow and really looking forward to putting them into action!

Thanks much!

If you're spending on the coating, do it right and don't waste your money by simply creating a moisture holding layer that is powdercoating.

Get them galvanized first. They have to be blasted regardless so you're only spending more for the dip. Being in Portland there are definitely local shops to do it. I think mine cost roughly $200.

They'd need to drill small holes in the places where the round tubes intersect the plate steel.

DOOOO IT!

Before you do any of it..... be sure you have modified the RS sliders for the added dimensions of the newer air compressor. If your lr doesn't have it already, it will need it sometime. The RS sliders were made with pretty much no forethought so the tolerance at the compressor is tight already, then the new compressor screwed it. Cut plate, extend dropped section, cut out rear vertical flange about an inch off height. Then proceed with the above preservation treatments.

Trimming plastic later will be the easy part. You'll need to have a good floor jack that you balance/lift the slider on while seeing where to trim as it gets closer to the fitting. If you have factory front mud flaps, they have to come off.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few things to note: There is a new compressor available that purports to fit in the same space as the Hitachi. It's an Arnott. You may not want to pay $ for a new compressor....but I'd rather not cut my sliders and/or have to add drooping extrusions to them.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_LAND_ROVER_yid4_pid175.html

Also, not sure who you are going with but check out Portland Powdercoating. I know they are good.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looking at that page, it's as if the longer Dunlop is to replace the newer/longer version I have now and the smaller more compact AMK is like the first version that came on lr3 in 2007.
---
just talked with Arnott. Dunlop version is "much smaller" but they are going to get me dimensions that I'll share with you all.

My main concern is long term durability.

Last edited:

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would prefer the AMK if it will fit. The main question to ask them would be does it hang down lower than the original. If it does, and not by much it will not clear I think.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have exchanged a few e-mails with the Arnott guys too. They must be thinking "***? What's with all the e-mails from crazed LR owners???"

...but basically they are saying that the Dunlop compressor fits in the acoustic box, hence it is no larger than the Hitachi. They are also claiming that it's the new OE unit. I am verifying that with my local LR Parts Dept.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They assured me the Dunlop model is "smaller" but we know that longer is not necessarily good either. Frankly I don't give a damn if it "fits in the clamshell" because that thing won't fit with a slider in the first place.
To me the AMK version looks more like what used to fit just fine once lower half of acoustic shell was removed.

My guess is they have no idea at all why we would care about the size. I think it's a "fail" so far. Only way to really know would be to test fit both models.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with your last sentence. We won't know until we know.

However, if the clamshell is fixed to the frame and this one fits inside of it, that's encouraging. The AMK didn't fit; period. fitting "once the lower half...was removed" equals NOT fitting. If the Dunlop fits then it's smaller. Done and done.

Jwest....YOU go first! :)

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think we are understanding each other....The original/older pump did fit, even if it required loosing the bottom half of shell. The new pump does not fit no matter what even with BS relocation bracket to tuck it up higher.

The fitting problem is not just the depth of these things, it's also the position toward rear wheel. The old version did not extend too far so as to conflict with the vertical portion of the slider plate at the end, in front of rear wheel. The new model overall space it needs goes too far aft.
That's why I think the skinny but long one they say will "fit better", won't actually fit at all for RS sliders.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an idea: order both models, compare/measure/test fit, then choose and return the looser.

"You may return a part as long as it is less than 30 days from the date of purchase or within 90 days for unused and uninstalled products. An original Arnott invoice and a Return Material Authorization (RMA) number are required."

Being careful to not scuff them up it shouldn't be too much hassle other than dealing with the shipping but just reuse the same box.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635