Anyone Recently Sold or Currently Selling?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aztris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for an LR4 replacement for a while and recently found a D5 with the spec I'm looking for (including Capability Plus!). After browsing ads forever and finally coming across a vehicle I would actually like to purchase, the reality of trying to sell my LR4 finally hit me.

LR4's and Land Rovers in general are popular here in the PNW and are often listed way above the average market prices. That said, I noticed there are barely a handful of private party Land Rovers (of any model) for sale within a 500 mile radius.

Has anyone recently sold their LR4 during this crazy time in the world?

FYI, in this scenario, trade in is not an option as the vehicle I'm looking to purchase is out of state and not at a Land Rover dealer.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, if you're interested in a D5, my first suggestion is to see an eye doctor.
Wow.

[mention]aztris [/mention] do a search in the forum for Carvana. There were a number of discussions (may have been in the long thread called "LR4s holding their value"?) about expanding your search radius to out of state and across country and using a service like Carvana to find it, buy it, and ship it. I haven't personally done it but some folks here raved about it and of course it gives you many more options. Good luck. Also, if you're looking at D5s, you may find more willing audiences for that discussion over in the D5 forum. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something else to consider...the 2021 D5 is getting the upgraded infotainment system, P400 I-6 replaces the SCV6 and a few other changes:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34586334/2021-land-rover-discovery-revealed/

I have also looked at LR4 prices since I'll be selling mine next year. LR4 prices are definitely above KBB value. Not that many V8's for sale either. Lots of used 2016's out there, must be coming off 3-year leases.

aztris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow.

[mention]aztris [/mention] do a search in the forum for Carvana. There were a number of discussions (may have been in the long thread called "LR4s holding their value"?) about expanding your search radius to out of state and across country and using a service like Carvana to find it, buy it, and ship it. I haven't personally done it but some folks here raved about it and of course it gives you many more options. Good luck. Also, if you're looking at D5s, you may find more willing audiences for that discussion over in the D5 forum. :)

I looked into Carvana. They don't service the PNW. There's a similar ish service up, but reviews aren't great.

Main concern is picking up a new vehicle, then not being able to sell the LR4 for months if people aren't buying from private parties right now. And that's what I'm really trying to figure out - is anyone even buying from private parties right now?

My current vehicles are paid off, so it's more an issue of space. I don't need/want potentially 3 vehicles sitting around (also own a supercharged M3).

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked into Carvana. They don't service the PNW. There's a similar ish service up, but reviews aren't great.

Main concern is picking up a new vehicle, then not being able to sell the LR4 for months if people aren't buying from private parties right now. And that's what I'm really trying to figure out - is anyone even buying from private parties right now?

My current vehicles are paid off, so it's more an issue of space. I don't need/want potentially 3 vehicles sitting around (also own a supercharged M3).
Now I understand your original post better.

You found a vehicle you want to buy. Is it also private party? or just a non-Landrover dealer? Because most dealers will allow you to do a trade-in of pretty much anything. I traded my Toyota 4Runner INTO a Landrover dealer for example.

As for private party sales in your local PNW region, I'm sure that you could find a buyer for it here on this forum or in the Overland Bound forum or something.

You might want to watch the local Autotrader listings for a few weeks to see how many LR4s come and go - I bet even private party sales are happening. You can usually search and filter on private party sales only and then just check back every few days to see what the turn-over has been.

Because of the demand for the LR4 I can't imagine you can't sell it.

Also, I bet if you went to CarMax or a local Land Rover dealer, their used vehicle dept would just write you a check for it.

aztris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something else to consider...the 2021 D5 is getting the upgraded infotainment system, P400 I-6 replaces the SCV6 and a few other changes:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34586334/2021-land-rover-discovery-revealed/

I have also looked at LR4 prices since I'll be selling mine next year. LR4 prices are definitely above KBB value. Not that many V8's for sale either. Lots of used 2016's out there, must be coming off 3-year leases.
I just saw that. Would love a 21 for those updates, but I'm looking for a pretty much loaded HSE Lux and a 21 would be approaching $90k after taxes/registration! I've been finding loaded 18-19 HSE Lux's in the $50-60k range, so that's definitely the route I'm going.

aztris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I understand your original post better.

You found a vehicle you want to buy. Is it also private party? or just a non-Landrover dealer? Because most dealers will allow you to do a trade-in of pretty much anything. I traded my Toyota 4Runner INTO a Landrover dealer for example.

As for private party sales in your local PNW region, I'm sure that you could find a buyer for it here on this forum or in the Overland Bound forum or something.

You might want to watch the local Autotrader listings for a few weeks to see how many LR4s come and go - I bet even private party sales are happening. You can usually search and filter on private party sales only and then just check back every few days to see what the turn-over has been.

Because of the demand for the LR4 I can't imagine you can't sell it.

Also, I bet if you went to CarMax or a local Land Rover dealer, their used vehicle dept would just write you a check for it.

Generally, I'm just curious about how the private party market is doing during these times. From my research, I'm noticing a massive decrease in private party listings in general compared to pre-covid times. Idk if that's good or bad in terms of attempting to sell right now.

Vehicle I'm looking at now happens to out of state, non-Land Rover dealer. So trade in not an option. I did some cursory checking of some "instant sale" type services like Carmax. One offered me $4k... for my zero issue 2012 LR4 HSE Lux with 86k miles. Lol! Not sure about Carmax or an LR dealer, but I'd still expect less than trade in value.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Generally, I'm just curious about how the private party market is doing during these times. From my research, I'm noticing a massive decrease in private party listings in general compared to pre-covid times. Idk if that's good or bad in terms of attempting to sell right now.

Vehicle I'm looking at now happens to out of state, non-Land Rover dealer. So trade in not an option. I did some cursory checking of some "instant sale" type services like Carmax. One offered me $4k... for my zero issue 2012 LR4 HSE Lux with 86k miles. Lol! Not sure about Carmax or an LR dealer, but I'd still expect less than trade in value.
I'll give you $5K! LOL.

There are 15 LR4s within 300 mi of me in Silicon Valley. 12 at dealers and 3 private party. Closest to yours was a 2012 with 82K.

I think you'll only know when you list it. I'd just put together a great listing and toss it here in this group and a few of the other related forums (there must be a PNW local LR forum).

42ec2b128adbfb88f890e7f9ce56984c.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72