Anyone Recently Sold or Currently Selling?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If subjective appearance is all you LR4 owners care about then why didn't you buy Jeep Grand Cherokees, which are more esthetically appealing than LR4s, and just as capable off road. The D5 exceeds the LR4 in both off-road and on-road capability, especially with the Td6 engine.

Hard disagree on the Grand Cherokee. If anything, the Grand Cherokee is a better looking D5, but not nearly as aesthetically pleasing as a D4.

Looks are subjective, of course. But I suppose the fact that Land Rover is having a hell of a time pushing D5s out the door probably has something to do with how they look.

Again, I'm so glad you are happy with your D5. Your happiness with your D5 is evident in the way you feel the need t defend it on the D4 forum.

ar077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard disagree on the Grand Cherokee. If anything, the Grand Cherokee is a better looking D5, but not nearly as aesthetically pleasing as a D4.

Looks are subjective, of course. But I suppose the fact that Land Rover is having a hell of a time pushing D5s out the door probably has something to do with how they look.

Again, I'm so glad you are happy with your D5. Your happiness with your D5 is evident in the way you feel the need t defend it on the D4 forum.

My D5 is the first Land Rover I've ever owned or considered owning so its appearance wasn't a paradigm shift for me as it was for squared-off, boxy-looking LR4 owners. I ordered it purely for its off-road capability coupled with on-road performance, handling, maneuverability, and safety, all of which exceed that of the LR4. Land Rover/Range Rover purists won't buy it because of how it looks. Non-LR/RR loyalists won't buy it because it costs twice as much as a Ford Explorer. None of that bothers me. I've always preferred niche vehicles.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My D5 is the first Land Rover I've ever owned or considered owning so its appearance wasn't a paradigm shift for me as it was for squared-off, boxy-looking LR4 owners. I ordered it purely for its off-road capability coupled with on-road performance, handling, maneuverability, and safety, all of which exceed that of the LR4. Land Rover/Range Rover purists won't buy it because of how it looks. Non-LR/RR loyalists won't buy it because it costs twice as much as a Ford Explorer. None of that bothers me. I've always preferred niche vehicles.

As an owner of both a 3&4 the reason I wouldn't consider a 5 is the loss of functionality. The hideous looks are just the icing on the cake so to speak. The deletion of the: 1) FRAME, 2) split tailgate, 3) LOSS of command seating position and 4) further urbanization of the interior (I prefer the 3 over the 4 for this) are the reasons why I would not consider a 5. If you like it then great, fill your boots.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If subjective appearance is all you LR4 owners care about then why didn't you buy Jeep Grand Cherokees, which are more esthetically appealing than LR4s, and just as capable off road. The D5 exceeds the LR4 in both off-road and on-road capability, especially with the Td6 engine.

The packaging is also a big part of it - have more space than short-bed pickup trucks. And the roof height is great. I can put three people and three road bikes in the LR4 without anyone needing to drop the seat post. D5 is long enough but not tall enough. G550 is tall enough, but not sure if long enough. Haven't checked a land cruiser.

I can also sit upright inside the cabin which is great for changing.

I would, however, love to have the range of the diesel.

Last edited:

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That’s your opinion.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was a useful thread until [mention]ryanjl [/mention] ****** on the D5 and [mention]ar077 [/mention] felt the need to defend it and it all went sideways. How about y'll go debate the relative merits of that fine platform in a new thread in the D5 forum and this thread can be about helping the original poster sell his D4.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was a useful thread until [mention]ryanjl [/mention] ****** on the D5 and [mention]ar077 [/mention] felt the need to defend it and it all went sideways. How about y'll go debate the relative merits of that fine platform in a new thread in the D5 forum and this thread can be about helping the original poster sell his D4.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll have you know that I derailed this thread immediately with my D5 talk, so it's everyone who's tried to keep it on-topic who've strayed from that.

But, to the original point, it seems like it's a good time to be a used car seller and a new car buyer. Used car prices have gone up (for desirable vehicles, at least) over the pandemic. Part of me wonders how much the pandemic has to do with it, and how much of it is people just not liking what car manufacturers are making now.

I've been eyeing the Land Cruiser and G500 market over the last year or so, and prices on those have gone up, as well. I think the Land Cruiser market could be experiencing a bounce because the rumors are now that 2021 is the last year it will be brought to the U.S. The G500 market is a little more perplexing as I sort of felt it was artificially high before.

I am curious what the future has in store for the Defender depreciation. All these problems I've been seeing about the first-year model is making me think the 2020's will depreciate a bit more than subsequent models, assuming they get their act together.

Last edited:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The entire used car market has drifted up other than traditional sedans. In terms of selling the D4 easy, just clearly state that it is not the new style Discovery ;)

Before I leave that topic, the sales of D5s are often referred to in passing as proof of it's failure. Outside of 05/06 the sales numbers for the D5 are higher. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.. To incite everybody the Discovery line died with the SCV6 and making the 2 speed transfer case optional.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have you know that I derailed this thread immediately with my D5 talk, so it's everyone who's tried to keep it on-topic who've strayed from that.

But, to the original point, it seems like it's a good time to be a used car seller and a new car buyer. Used car prices have gone up (for desirable vehicles, at least) over the pandemic. Part of me wonders how much the pandemic has to do with it, and how much of it is people just not liking what car manufacturers are making now.

I've been eyeing the Land Cruiser and G500 market over the last year or so, and prices on those have gone up, as well. I think the Land Cruiser market could be experiencing a bounce because the rumors are now that 2021 is the last year it will be brought to the U.S. The G500 market is a little more perplexing as I sort of felt it was artificially high before.

I am curious what the future has in store for the Defender depreciation. All these problems I've been seeing about the first-year model is making me think the 2020's will depreciate a bit more than subsequent models, assuming they get their act together.

As I understand it, new car production dropped off due to factory closures. And used car auctions were halted for a while. The lack of new cars in the pipeline pushed people to used (increasing demand), and the supply constraints in that market further pushed prices up. I believe used car prices peaked in Oct/Nov and the market is slowly, slowly, coming back to normal.

So, this is probably the best time ever for OP to sell his LR4.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It comes down to how much the OP wants for his LR4. If he lists it as a private seller, he is going to get offers from dealers anyway, so there is zero chance it will not sell, it is just a matter of for how much. The last two vehicles I listed privately I ended up selling to dealers who were willing to come up from the standard black book number because they wanted it, for whatever reason. A touch less than a true private sale, but also a much easier sale as they come with check in hand and all the paperwork needed to do the deal in just a few minutes.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM