Are all terrains really necessary for even mild offroading?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotopax get me. There are few trips you can make in the continental US that are so desolate they would require extra tanks of gas, and they are all pretty much in the desert southwest.

So if you're daily driving a vehicle with rotopax in fricken Missouri, you're adventure signaling.
Unless they’re full of moonshine. Then they get a pass. Which could be a distinct possibility.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me I like to be able to wheel for 7+ days somewhere like Moab and not have to go back into town for fuel. But I largely agree for US based travel. And I use a 15L Wavian jerry, I don't get rotopax.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me I like to be able to wheel for 7+ days somewhere like Moab and not have to go back into town for fuel. But I largely agree for US based travel. And I use a 15L Wavian jerry, I don't get rotopax.

Utah was pretty much exactly where I was thinking when I said the desert southwest, but I imagine there are a lot of places in Nevada, Arizona, etc. that would likewise be desolate enough to want extra fuel.

Reaction score
Would y'all consider Continenal TerrainContact as an All-Terrain for these purposes, as the OP had inquired? We have them on our newly bought LR4 and my wife appreciates the on-road manners, but I see mixed reviews online on whether they perform like AT's as advertised.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are an XL load-rated tire, which is as good as you are going to get for the 19" wheel.

In terms of traction, they are on the mild side, but several forum members have them and have done some wheeling with them.

Justin Allen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, pulled the trigger on the Conti TerrainContact. $200 off promotion right now so couldn't let it pass. It was a tough call between that and the Toyo AT3. But ultimately like Continental better as a brand, and felt the AT3 was just a touch too aggressive for the 80% on-road use my vehicle would see.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA