Are all terrains really necessary for even mild offroading?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin Allen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your tires are actually OEM, they are getting a bit too old. Rubber compounds breakdown after 5 or 6 years. You can check the 4-digit numbers on the tires which indicate week/year manufactured.

If the tires are actually over 7 years old, time for new tires and I would recommend All-Terrains for sure, would not hurt to have the 3pmsf snow rating if you drive in Boone/Asheville for winter. Biltmore Land Rover Experience you can get by without Ads, Uwharrie definitely need Ads or Hybrid (Nitto Ridge Grappler etc).
I didn't mean they were actually the original tire. Just the standard Conti 4x4 Contact that comes on these trucks. Were installed by the previous owner in 2020 so they're almost brand new.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a bit of off roading with my OEM tires until they wore down.

They're fine if you're not rock crawling, or going over anything slippery.

Be ready to have a sidewall puncture. They're pretty weak sidewalls.

I also had probably 4-6 patches/plugs in my tires when I got rid of them. Honestly the only good thing about those tires were that they're quiet.

Don't attempt mud lol.

doc5339

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't mean they were actually the original tire. Just the standard Conti 4x4 Contact that comes on these trucks. Were installed by the previous owner in 2020 so they're almost brand new.
Glad to hear they're in good shape. My barometer for running All Terrains would be 1% or more off roading, get 'em. I would not recommend doing even the moderate stuff at Uwharrie without good All Terrains. You could look for some old take-off/aftermarket 18" wheels with All Terrains and just run them when you wanna hit the trails. 19" All Terrain options pretty much suck and can't air down as low as with 18" wheels.

MattyF

Reaction score
I did all the black diamond “hard” trails at hungry valley OHV in my LR4 on 20” with street tires. I didn’t air down and didn’t have any trouble at all. Now the hard trails there aren’t really that hard and my rig has the HD pack.

I’ve since bought a second set of 18” wheels and BF KO2s and gone more extreme places. But, I think if you’re not rock crawling or going in mud you’ll be ok.

Edit: there was lots of sand too and I didn’t have any trouble with the stock wheels and tires.

Last edited:

Haris

Reaction score
I had 19” original rims and conti tires, and got stuck a couple of times in mud and light snow. So before I started using the vehicle Offroad I switched to 18” steel rims and 265/65/18 bfg ko2s. Since then I’ve had a great time Offroad and on road is not too affected (slightly noisier and squishy on center feel). I distrusted the original tires for even mild snow vs other all seasons, and they definitely would not be good Offroad due to thin sidewalls. So it was time for a switch.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve a similar experience with MatyF but with 19” on the contis and doing the same trails several times.
But I have to say these wore horribly, especially where the tread rounds over to the sidewall. After a few outings there were a few noticeable chunks missing from the treads. Also they are extremely floaty on sand/shale. Like when you go too fast on snow.
Anyway I changed to 60 profile Toyo AT3’s and haven’t looked back. Great on the road and so far off as well.

That said, the guys in the built Jeeps and Land Cruisers I go out with were astonished with the rock goat Land Rover just getting things done with minimal wheel spin and fuss. Now that’s a testament to the terrain response and mid/rear differential locks rather than the driver.

Stu.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To answer the original question though. No. But when you do get stuck or in trouble with punctures your options are much more limited.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That said, the guys in the built Jeeps and Land Cruisers I go out with were astonished with the rock goat Land Rover just getting things done with minimal wheel spin and fuss. Now that’s a testament to the terrain response and mid/rear differential locks rather than the driver.

Stu.

I think it's also a testament to how overbuilt so many vehicles are. Jeep guys running 37" tires and carrying Maxtrax to drive fire roads in Colorado.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's also a testament to how overbuilt so many vehicles are. Jeep guys running 37" tires and carrying Maxtrax to drive fire roads in Colorado.

But they look good. My personal favorite is the high lift hack on the bonnet of a Jeep without so much as a scratch on the factory finish. Lots of that in la. Oh and several rotopax hanging off every inch of available space.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotopax get me. There are few trips you can make in the continental US that are so desolate they would require extra tanks of gas, and they are all pretty much in the desert southwest.

So if you're daily driving a vehicle with rotopax in fricken Missouri, you're adventure signaling.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72