Audio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sparrky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 HSE with the 380 watt Harmon Kardon system. I guess the standard, base system.

Has anyone upgraded speakers or added additional amplification?

-Looking for ideas as I feel its pretty inadequate at low volumes and lacks bass at higher volumes. I've tried it with Sirius, as well as iPod (even adjusting the iPod volume and eq settings).

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I would tune your current system with a CD first. A genre you frequently listen to. I say this because iTunes is 1/10th the bit stream quality of a CD. iTunes, AAC and MP3s will sound muddy on just about any system. And Sirius is no better... the sound quality IMHO is terrible and I would not give satellite radio the time of day. I can't believe people subscribe to the service and surprised these guys are still in business. Sirius IMO is good for talk radio where quality really doesn't matter. Other than that, I wouldn't waste money on it. The stream is extremely compressed and much worse than AAC or MP3 files. Now, if you transfer your CDs to AAC or MP3 and they are lossless, then you'll get CD quality and they sound just fine on the standard LR4 system. I don't want to sound too harsh about these products, but they should not be used as benchmarks. A lot of consumers are truly fooled by them and complain when their auto systems sound like ass.

Now, although the standard HK system isn`t stellar in the LR4, it's not bad considering it's a base system and it definitely can perform better than any other standard system you'd get with a premium car. And you can find its sweet spot with some patience - and of course - if the system is new, it takes a little time to burn in.

There is a member on this board who upgraded his Lux system - and hopefully he'll chime in with suggestions. I'm sorry I don't remember his handle. One thing to remember though, the system won't easily hand-shake with mods... so I believe you pretty much need the entire setup from amp to speakers. HK systems are isolated IPs.

Last edited:

sparrky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess I'm stuck with bad audio sources, as you've said because I haven't purchased a CD in a dozen years. Do they even sell them anymore?

However my x5 with less wattage and less speakers sounds much better with the same iPhone.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I so know what you mean about CDs... I'm not sure if they make them anymore. I'm not sure why your BMW system sounded better. I had a BMW M3 with the premium system and my iTunes and MP3s didn't sound that great... and neither did Sirius.

What I have found is that the HK base does need some tuning with bass and treble. Have you adjusted them? I find base two or three notches (those little blocks) from the top setting and treble in that general area, has yielded better sound in general. Also play with the sub settings. But at least use a good source to balance it as a benchmark.

My next LR4 will definitely be the Lux and high-end system. I enjoy a good system and wish I had opted for the extended options when I purchased by LR4 HSE back in 2010.

I also abandoned iTunes and now purchase all of my music on Google Play. The bit rate is much, much higher than iTunes and although streamed, the quality is very good. Android is a far better OS and platform than Apple iOS... and iPhones and the entire ecosystem of products are truly behind the innovation curve and aren't cool anymore. ;)

Last edited:

sparrky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll check out Google.

I've put the bass up all the way. The system really lacks low end. Especially at low and mid volumes.

If there was a way to turn up the sub a bit. Anyone ever add an extra sub to a newer model LR4?

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Count is referring to me as I've gone through a few different components in an effort to upgrade my HK Logic 7 stereo. The issue with our truck when considering an aftermarket upgrade is the fiber connection from the HU to the factory amp. You can't tap into the preout of the HU cleanly that I've researched given the MOST bus fiber. There are companies like Motus lab and mobridge that have products to connect with fiber systems like ours but they are buggy or aren't configured for our LR4 yet, respectively.

If you want a good and easy way to integrate aftermarket components and overcome the factory EQ, you can go with a sound processor like an MS8, audison bit 1 or 10, JL cleansweep...etc. In my current setup, I replaced my front and rear speakers(Hertz Mille) and added a sound processor(Audison bit 10D)/amp(Audison LRx 5.1)/subwoofer(JL Audio W3 10"). All were pretty straight forward as the speaker wires and install is pretty normal in the doors and from the factory amp. I did deaden the door panels as they seem to buzz more than my previous 4runner, especially near the wood trip section around the door handle and the speaker grills.

I love my stereo now and love taking road trips where I get to listen to music for hours. Our vehicle is so quiet inside and it drives so smooth on the HWs, it really makes having a high quality stereo worth it, IMHO. BTW, I also use my Ipod for all my music but I do lossless music where ever I can to add to the source quality.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Count is referring to me as I've gone through a few different components in an effort to upgrade my HK Logic 7 stereo. The issue with our truck when considering an aftermarket upgrade is the fiber connection from the HU to the factory amp. You can't tap into the preout of the HU cleanly that I've researched given the MOST bus fiber. There are companies like Motus lab and mobridge that have products to connect with fiber systems like ours but they are buggy or aren't configured for our LR4 yet, respectively.

If you want a good and easy way to integrate aftermarket components and overcome the factory EQ, you can go with a sound processor like an MS8, audison bit 1 or 10, JL cleansweep...etc. In my current setup, I replaced my front and rear speakers(Hertz Mille) and added a sound processor(Audison bit 10D)/amp(Audison LRx 5.1)/subwoofer(JL Audio W3 10"). All were pretty straight forward as the speaker wires and install is pretty normal in the doors and from the factory amp. I did deaden the door panels as they seem to buzz more than my previous 4runner, especially near the wood trip section around the door handle and the speaker grills.

I love my stereo now and love taking road trips where I get to listen to music for hours. Our vehicle is so quiet inside and it drives so smooth on the HWs, it really makes having a high quality stereo worth it, IMHO. BTW, I also use my Ipod for all my music but I do lossless music where ever I can to add to the source quality.

Although, I come from lr3 world, i am very interested on your audio system upgrade set up. Can you please elaborate, which Hertz Mille speakers you bought, and where you installed additional amp and sound processor.Also was 'nt a new subwoofer deeper then OEM?I have a HSE version, Thanks

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although, I come from lr3 world, i am very interested on your audio system upgrade set up. Can you please elaborate, which Hertz Mille speakers you bought, and where you installed additional amp and sound processor.Also was 'nt a new subwoofer deeper then OEM?I have a HSE version, Thanks

My Milles are the 2011 edition, component 2ways. I had them in my 4runner and just moved them over. Our LR3/LR4 can do 3 ways, which would give a fuller sound but given the height of our woofer, my 2 way does a pretty good job. As far as my amp, I bolted down over the 3rd row seatback since I don't ever use them. If you don't want a class A/B amp and fine with a class D, you have a lot of options with a smaller footprint. My sub is a JL Audio wedge box with a 10w3 standing in my rear cargo area. My processor and crossovers are in the foot space underneath the 3rd row seats when they are laid down flat.

Since you have an LR3, you should consider the Mobridge preamp as it will allow you to bypass the need for a sound processor(unless you want a 31band equalizer). The preamp gives you a digital out with burr-brown processing built in, which is awesome. I'm hoping they make their preamp compatible with my LR4 this year so I can get rid of my bit 10d.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

I will defo try to tackle a proposed set up,planning to dynamat all doors along with a tailgate, also interior of the A pillars.I will have to look for a different subwoofer solution, as i can't put it in the cargo area, since I use it to the fullest extend all the time.As far as the pre amp , i will look for some room behind plastic covers between C and D pillars as my leg area behind second row seats is also fuul of stuff like an ax, jack stands and wheel chocks and more.We'l see...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635