Automatic Headlight Conversion 2004 RR??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V

viper1993

Thanks in advance for the help. Just picked up a 2004 with the luxury package and 20" wheels and just love this vehicle with one exception - no automatic headlights. With all of the electronic toys on this thing, I can't believe that it does not have headlights that go on at dusk and turn themselves off when the Rover is turned off.

Any way to add this? If so please provide as much details as possible.

Best personal regards.

V

viper1993

Well, I'm getting closer - but not there 100% yet. I purchased a DEI Headlight Control unit pretty cheap off of Ebay. I also needed another relay to make the system work because of the way the rover headlights are wired that I picked up at Radio Shack.

Unfortunately, you get what you pay for. The DEI unit works - sort of. It is set up to provide day-time running lights (which I do not want) - but it CAN turn off the lights when the ignition is turned off. It also can be wired to turn the head lights on when the sensor does not detect light - but there is one problem. It only will turn them on - but will not turn them off when light is detected - so for example - when you start the car in the garage - it senses low light and will turn the lights on - but when you pull out of the garage - it will not turn them off until you turn off the ignition.

I may settle for this as it would allow me to not leave my lights on accicentally or when I forget to tell the valet that the lights dont turn themselves off.

I'm determined to get this work - More to follow ........

V

viper1993

joey said:

Joey, thanks for the info - that circuit may actually work and I did locate one stateside at:

http://www.abra-electronics.com/catalog/kits/vel_mk125.html

It may need the additional relay that I mentioned in my previous post available from Radio Shack and I would have to see more to know if it will work as designed or would require minor modification. The headlight switch is a low volt/low amp circuit so that is not a concern.

Hudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off topic a bit but, I always hated how auto headlamps don't always turn on when it is raining. Sometimes there is enough light when it is raining to keep the headlights off. But you really should have the lights on in inclimate weather. I don't get why manufacturers don't hook them to the wiper system somehow.
/rant

V

viper1993

Hudy,

Agreed. It's funny as my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee did have the automatic lights and they even turned on when the wipers turned on.

I have debated on whether I will try to get the lights to turn on when the wipers turn on, but I'm not quite sure if I want to tinker that much more with it as the Rover electronics are simple - but complex if that makes any sense? I do love the rain sensing feature of the wipers.

Another off topic discussion as it relates to wipers is Rain-X. I have used Rain-X in the past, but really feel that the huge, upright windshield of the Rover demands Rain-X. If you havent tried it - give it a shot. Only downside is that it does need to be reapplied every so often to keep the performance where it needs to be.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The other side effect of Rain-x is it wears out your wipers faster....

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635