Aux Input Solution?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's an amplifier for a speaker! The other autotoys product I linked to is closer.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I said before, they lie. It's an attenuator. The level is identical through a passive (non-powered) iPod dock with line-out. So even if it was a "real" amplifier, it's not increasing the level beyond any other device I've used.

L

lacarruk1

grommet said:
As I said before, they lie. It's an attenuator. The level is identical through a passive (non-powered) iPod dock with line-out. So even if it was a "real" amplifier, it's not increasing the level beyond any other device I've used.

I swear I hear a distinct increase in volume using it. If I go direct AUX instead of thru car kit, I have to raise radio volume to MAX to hear it at a reasonable volume.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I said before, the iPod headphone jack is NOT the line-out on the iPod. Is that was you are comparing? (And what you call "direct AUX"?) Line-out will be closer ("louder") than the headphone jack, but it's still -5 volume ticks off on most/all iPods. And Navigation voice will still be too loud... :(

Last edited by a moderator:

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clean: Pull out your AUX assembly and modify/rewire the line driver to be inline to the actual AUX L+R wiring. The whole unit can probably live behind the panel. Power for the line driver can be tapped off the rear of the cigarette power port.

Less Clean: iPod line-out (or equivalent) --> 3.5mm to L+R RCA cable --> Autotoys Adjustable Line Driver (or equivalent) --> L+R RCA cable to 3.5mm plug --> LR3 AUX input. (You'd still need to run 12v DC to the line driver from somewhere.) You can probably hide the bits...

I also found another one: http://logjamelectronics.com/pield1.html

But, like I said, this stuff is untested and you might still have level issues... or even distortion. Talk to a custom shop if you are uncomfortable with any of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

schafari

Check out how I fixed the Aux Input output level in my post in a new thread.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the Belkin hook-up for my iPod and I swear I can't hear a level difference between the Aux and CD. The Belkin device does up the volume a bit. The lower end range is also MUCH more noticeable. I actually had to lower the bass settings a bit to accommodate. I know there are many more complex solutions that will solve the XM/SIRIUS and iPod issue, but this is by far the simplest and easiest solution for those using iPod only. Plus, there's only one wire coming from the rear seat.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99