Aux Input Solution?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L

lacarruk1

OK - Just installed Sirius satellite radio. The radio installer spliced my AUX cable and added a 3 way switch so I can swap IPOD, SIRIUS or OFF if I am using AUX button. The iPod sounds great cause I have that Belkin Car kit adapter which seems to have a little sound boost (mini amp). Sirius sounds as low as the original iPod did without the Belkin kit.

If I go thru FM Transmitter on Sirius (it is night and day), super loud. But as we all know, FM transmitters are ok sometimes and suck other times.

Does anyone know of a pre-amp solution we can install before the AUX cable hits the radio that will not cause all sorts of distortion? This would solve all of our problems.

I remember someone mentioned Pheonix Gold amp with EQ, but my car installer said it would lead to distortion....

HELP!

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't experimented with mini-amplifier solutions. I guess maybe a small personal headphone amp might work? Why not work with your installer and test a few temporary solutions? I'm sure you'd be able to tell if you start introducing distortion.

But this is an example where you (and every other owner that cares) need to complain to Land Rover formally. The head unit needs an AUX input volume offset setting! There is a good chance this can be added in firmware. (Basically every consumer audio device plugged into AUX will be too quiet... and as I've complained over and over: when compensating with a higher volume setting, the Navigation voice will blow up your ear drums. Yuck.)

Last edited by a moderator:
S

schafari

I'll be installing a line driver for just this problem. XM to line driver which is basically a pre-amp volume control. It will go mini to RCA to line driver. Out from line driver to mini to Aux input. The signal to noise ratio is over 100db. I am not sure how it would add distortion; howerver, who knows. It is simply to boost the voltage on the output signal.

The XM RoadyXT has an internal output volume control, but it is maxed out, and the LR radio has to be around 25 just to listen to normal talk radio, etc.

Audio Control and Phoenix Gold make these devices. The one I am using is a PG Tantrum EQ6. It happens to have an EQ as well.

The only way I can see it would add distortion is if I turned the master volume control, or the input volume control up so far, it overloaded the input capability of the LR radio. That is easily fixed however. Simply don't turn up the line driver volume to that point.

L

lacarruk1

schafari said:
I'll be installing a line driver for just this problem. XM to line driver which is basically a pre-amp volume control. It will go mini to RCA to line driver. Out from line driver to mini to Aux input. The signal to noise ratio is over 100db. I am not sure how it would add distortion; howerver, who knows. It is simply to boost the voltage on the output signal.

The XM RoadyXT has an internal output volume control, but it is maxed out, and the LR radio has to be around 25 just to listen to normal talk radio, etc.

Audio Control and Phoenix Gold make these devices. The one I am using is a PG Tantrum EQ6. It happens to have an EQ as well.

The only way I can see it would add distortion is if I turned the master volume control, or the input volume control up so far, it overloaded the input capability of the LR radio. That is easily fixed however. Simply don't turn up the line driver volume to that point.

Did you install the EQ6? How does it sound? Did you install it inbetween the AUX jack and the cable going to the radio?

L

lacarruk1

schafari said:

Looking for an update?

S

schafari

Sorry, Lacarruk1, I have not installed the pre-amp/line driver yet. I just got done installing the custom remote mount radar detector this weekend. That was first priority.

I will be fabricating a panel in the cubby box to hold the line driver/eq seemlessly. That will take some planning.

However, here is what I am going to do. This weekend, I am going to test the electrics and install some of the wiring. (signal, power, etc.) I'll then power it up in temp mode and test for any problems. I'll at least be able to test it with the engine running, not sure about a drive. I'll try.

I will certainly post observations and the overall project.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is someone's attempt at making a small vehicle line driver, in case you don't feel like building one yourself:

http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/product.php?productid=1074

No idea if this would work well. I think the LR AUX input accepts up to 1 volt, so don't push it... :) It looks small enough that it could be hidden behind the AUX panel.

L

lacarruk1

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Belkin charger/audio kit doesn't do anything to the signal... just passes line-out directy from the iPod dock plug. (Well, with an attenuator in-line... to decrease the volume if wanted.) It's whatever high impedance signal the iPod puts out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99