Aux lights on the Front bunmper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmars

Reaction score
Sorry to have to ask as I did search but I'm not returning what I am used to seeing. I'm kicking around the idea of aux lighting on the bumper. My question pertains to wiring and switches and confirmation of a few items. I would like to run a wide beam lamp to gain better vision on back roads, even possibly one wide lens on one lamp and a euro beam on the other lamp (did this on a jeep and it worked well)

1) Can a factory looking switch to run aux lights not be obtained? I'd like to keep an OEM look
- I don't need to see that the lamps are on in dash display
- I do want the switch to illuminate
2) I'm not ace LR mechanic and coming from jeeps I used to use the Hells wiring harness. Assuming this is OK to use still?
3) Are there any DIY Aux lighting for the LR4?

I've read through the searches (especially the LR3 ones) about mating this to the high beam, this to me is not important b/c its over my head....a straight to the battery set up will be fine for me b/c I don't need a reason to see the dealer for coding either. The dealer quoted me $1K to install when I called them....I have a bruise on my chin from when my mouth hit the floor.

I again apologize asking about a topic which I know was covered but it seems I need some hand holding. Any thoughts, experiences etc is great appreciated. I'm open to lamp recs and pics too!

Thanks

sgh71

Reaction score
I just had some installed on my LR4 by a friend and he tapped the fog light switch to turn on the aux lights. He ran a relay to the battery with a fuse and they work great. Also planning to do the lights on the top rack 3 front and 1 back (for tailgaters) Will be putting a separate switch for that inside with a plug you can remove for when the rack is removed.

jmars

Reaction score
So does that mean you can only run fogs with his Aux lighting? I'd like to run my fog independent of any Aux lighting. Sorry if I'm not following here.

sgh71

Reaction score
I'm Saying it's possible to run how you want you'll just have to find the correct wire for it. I chose these lights to run with the fogs on same switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoCalPaul

Reaction score
In another forum - I saw a genius idea. One guy is running a wireless relay to switch them on. Then programming the garage door opener to trigger the wireless. That way you don't have to run wires through the firewall and mess with dash.

jmars

Reaction score
That seems like a solid move.

So I am correct that there not an OEM switch option? I ask bc as cool as the remote idea is it's still a work around

crash1121

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My idea regarding the auxiliary light switch dilemma (which I'm not sure is possible) is to connect them to the fog light switch, but program it to have multiple functions. For example, a quick press turns fogs on/off, and a 3-second press turns aux lights on/off. This would allow you to run the aux lights with or without the fogs on, and vice versa. And if you mounted a spotlight to the back, you could program the rear fog light switch to do exactly the same.

I wonder how complex that would be to set up... :hmmmm:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmars

Reaction score
Now this is a smart man...I like this idea but also sounds out of my league.

This for me personally boils down to OEM look which I want to retain. As much as I love the LR4 they don't make it easy for us.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was trying to figure out a way to add a switch to the blank area on that light switch module (which pops out).. but behind the blank area is a box with the little PCB on it) So that wouldn't work. Then I was thinking about a steering column switch..drill a hole or something. Found a couple spots that would work for that. The fog light button is not a simple switch or relay, I think it's actually signalling on CAN bus.. so reprogramming that would take some effort.

You could run a relay cable through the firewall up behind the driver side dash and that would be pretty simple. I ended up just wedging a switch between the dash and the column because I didn't want to pull the trigger on a hole yet. It doesn't look perfect, but im the only one who knows its really there and its surprisingly solid, wont move around when I use it. (I don't move my steering column much, so its fine)

IMG_20161112_075001_zpsx2s5espr.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM