B1163-15 code - heated mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adjust it all the way inboard (so the outside edge is furthest back), then pull gently but firmly on the outboard edge back further and it should pop off. The wire connections are on the inboard end, though, so careful with recoil. You can't check voltage at the wires, since there's no way to manually activate the mirrors, but you can measure the resistance of the heating element.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, will give it a try, it would be great to clear this code... (yet another one!).

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you ftillier - You're bang on the money with the instructions (it's super simple as well), here are some notes/images for those that follow, first put the mirror to this position (pointing inboard):

1673465091918.png

Gently pull it in the direction of the vehicle (horizontally) by putting your fingers on the outer exposed edge.

I had trouble disconnecting one of the following two files (on both sides), I used a screwdriver to pry it off, here's the inside of the mirror assembly:

1673465208334.png

Here's the resistance of the left mirror (driver - flat mirror - 397ohms):
1673465359151.png

Here's the resistance of the right mirror (passenger - convex mirror - 1018ohms):
1673465465202.png

The two differences alone tells me there's an issue! Here are the codes I have:

DDM (Driver's Door Module), left mirror heather output code is B1163-15
PDM (Passenger's Door Module), right mirror heather output code is B1164-15

Given it's cold here in MI I suspect these should be "on" and could look for voltage, I'll try to do that another time!

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also wanted to run calcs on heating wattage, so, W = V^2/R, so with a resistance of 6.9ohms (reported on page 1), we'd have (assuming 12V supply):

W = (12 x 12)/6.9
W = 20.9W

This is a reasonable amount of heat!

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the cheap option on Amazon:

One key issue is that the pins are rotated 90deg so I had to bend each pin ever so slightly so that the two cables don't make contact (which incidentally they did giving me a little spark which in turn tells me there's power :cool: ).

I measured 8ohms of resistance, the fault code has gone and the mirror is pleasantly warm to the touch (not hot). The driver side mirror arrives tomorrow - I'm happy to fix one of the issues I'm having!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72